Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you wait for a dry doe

Old 03-17-2003, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Do you wait for a dry doe

I shot a doe with a fawn (no spots) about 15 years ago. The little fawn ran around
bleating a calling for its mama. I waited for about 30 minutes and then went to track the big doe. When I got within about 75 yards of her I saw the young one standing about 10 ft. from her. It finally took off into the brush when I approached.
The whole thing kind of bothered me so from then on I try to make sure its a dry doe before I shoot. I think the what is meant by the term " dry doe" is any doe without a fawn whether or not she has milk.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:57 AM

if the yearling has no spots momma goes in the freezer maybe even the yearling if it is not a button. vennison is very important to my family
Old 03-17-2003, 01:07 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

" Dry doe" ? That term interests me. Do folks flip them over and check the mammory glands first? Do they lay mirrors on the ground over game trails so they can get a " look-see" ?

In almost 20 years of field dressing deer, the vast majority of them being does, I have yet to find a " dry" one.

JRW
Old 03-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if the fawn is not weened, if you shoot the doe the fawn will just hook up with another non dry (wet?) doe unless another preditor finds it first. Shooting does is an important part of wildlife managment.

Old 03-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

JRW,
Actually this past season one of the does I shot was " dry" . When I cut into her, no milk seeped out. It was actually pretty freaky. I' ve shot a decent number of adult does in my life and this is the 1st I remember being like this. It is very rare to see a doe truly without fawns.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:09 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Wimp,

Glad to see I' m not alone here.

JRW
Old 03-17-2003, 03:37 PM

If it hops, it drops!!!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have held off on shooting does with fawns during the early season, but there may be reason to change that. I' ve read some research not too long ago that stated that button bucks will usually stay in the area if their mother is no longer around. Apparently, if the mother isn' t alive to chase them off, they stay put.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a doe first chance i get, for the freezer, plus it help' s build my confedence
when the horn' s walk in.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It' s stories like benhutin' s that have shied me away from shooting does with a fawn.

The last two doe' s I arrowed (one last year, sidewinder-great shot!!) were by them selves and proved to be dry when I went to skin them. They don' t look too old, just full sized. Probably 1.5 yrs old.
After 911 I decided not to shoot a momma, then last year my wife was pregnant during bow season- couldn' t fathom it (might bring on bad karma).
Next year- probably not either.
When I' m eyeballing a duo from my stand and then the youngin takes a drink from momma, I just think to myself- I' m not that desperate for meat.

I also missed a doe last year that was running with two others the same size with no fawns in sight. They' re out there, I' m just patient enough to wait.

Quick Reply: Do you wait for a dry doe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.