Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

*&$%# Thermacell.....&#^#%

Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: *&$%# Thermacell.....&#^#%

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

So what did everyone do before these things were invented?

While yes I have one, maybe I am less prone to fear the skeeters since their bites don’t have any effect on me. The buzzing in the ears is annoying but you get used to it. I really hate when they go in my eyes though.
Ihardly everuse them deer hunting in Maryland. But, there are times when I use it particularly when I hunt near the Eastern Shore in MD VA and NC. I wasjust warning Jeff those little muthers were freaking unreal down there, the worst Ive ever been around. I didnt want the poor guy to suffer .... to much : )
Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

So what did everyone do before these things were invented?

While yes I have one, maybe I am less prone to fear the skeeters since their bites don’t have any effect on me. The buzzing in the ears is annoying but you get used to it. I really hate when they go in my eyes though.
Ihardly everuse them deer hunting in Maryland. But, there are times when I use it particularly when I hunt near the Eastern Shore in MD VA and NC. I wasjust warning Jeff those little muthers were freaking unreal down there, the worst Ive ever been around. I didnt want the poor guy to suffer .... to much : )

Just take many Pictures............!!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I bought one.....got it home and found I even got the camo version ...lol.

OK...so a question. You've snuck in.....climbed up....gotten dressed REAALY "stealth-ily". Now you wanna turn this thing on.

CLICK!

Does it make a loud click when you turn it on?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK...so a question. You've snuck in.....climbed up....gotten dressed REAALY "stealth-ily". Now you wanna turn this thing on.

CLICK!

Yea that was a bit of a shocker the 1st time I used mine. Sitting in the dark dead calm of the spring turkey woods….CLICK! WTF!
I tucked it up under my jacket to light after that.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

CLICK!

Loud is relative. The noise isn't really loud but you push that button at dark:30 in the morning in a silent woodlot and it seems like a howitzer just went off. I just start mine when I leave the truck. I have the holster for it and leave that hanging on my fanny pack. I've never had a problem doing that. Actually I think it helps. When I reach my stand the pad is already warmed up and working. I don't have to wait 5 minutes for it to become effective. Jeff, you have my address, just mail it when you're done. i'll mail you a check for what you paid if you decide not to keep it.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess the starting it early trick will work. Will it "go out" if it's placed lightly in my fanny pack.....or packed llosely? I suppose I can carry it all the way to stand.....then figure a way to get it up there without going out?????

Never used one. Are they prone to go "out" when transported? Can you muffle it to light?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if it will stay lit in a fanny pack due to its need for oxygen. Then there is also the heat to be considered. Try what rybo suggested, Well, nevermind that... I don't imagine you'll be wearing a jacket! The noise isn't that offensive. i'd say just light it when you get in stand. The deer will soon forget if they do hear it.....maybe.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It needs to be flat to stay lit...Mine is strapped to my climber, I get up the tree and then light it...
There is a glass in the back that lets you look into it to see if it's lit, or you can light it and wait a few minutes and see if the blue pad is getting hot...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Here is another hint with your thermacell. Turn it ON and let it sit for about TWO minutes then press the igniter button. I have handed mine to guys, they turn it on and click that button like hell. It needs to get the propane flowing. Also look down the end of it and when you see it start to glow it is lit. You will also hear a little "pop" when it ignites. DO NOT leave one running in your truck by your windshield. It stains the crap out of the glass.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:59 AM

Shannon Bug Tamer, no replaceable pads. They are high initial cost, but work. I have a thermacell also, and do carry it occasionally when things are really tough, but mostly just use the bug suit for early season.

Quick Reply: *&$%# Thermacell.....&#^#%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.