Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

badddd day.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Default badddd day.

so there i was at 25 yds shooting my bow. i was doing good for about the first 15 shots. then idk what happened.

i shot, and my arrow sailed over the target and into the picnic table. yay. broadhead down!!

sooo i unscrew the arrow and leaft the b.h in the table. owell it had practice blades.

i didnt want to shoot that same arrow so i go grab another one, this time with real blades. (blades were for practice) first shot on target...about 2 ft high, arrow lost.

man was i p.o

i put the bow back in its case, kissed it goodnight, and put her to bed
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: badddd day.

And you still don't know what's up? I don't think I could sleep like that. Has the rest moved? Has the sight moved? I hope you get her figured out bud.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really dont know what to say but, have you been shooting the broadheads before? or was this the first time?

Did you make certain your anchor point was the same? and is there anyway your sight or rest couldve gotten moved?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your sight may have slipped down. 2 shots that drastically high says something moved.
Check your sight, nock point & peep(if you use one) and make sure nothing moved.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

so there i was at 25 yds shooting my bow. i was doing good for about the first 15 shots. then idk what happened.

i shot, and my arrow sailed over the target and into the picnic table. yay. broadhead down!!

sooo i unscrew the arrow and leaft the b.h in the table. owell it had practice blades.

i didnt want to shoot that same arrow so i go grab another one, this time with real blades. (blades were for practice) first shot on target...about 2 ft high, arrow lost.

man was i p.o

i put the bow back in its case, kissed it goodnight, and put her to bed
I'm not sure I totally understand, were the first 15 shots w/ BH's on the arrows also, or were they FP's??? If so, then I'd go back to shooting CLOSE, say 10yds, and see how far off their POI is. When starting out w/ BH and I have NO idea how close they'll be, I shoot the first one at 10yds!!!! If it's close, I shoot from 20-25, if not, I tweak and get things CLOSE before moving back. Save you from that "OH SCHITZKY" moment. Either way, I'd take my first shot from 10yds today if I were you, and make sure something isn't WAY out of whack, good luck!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

You using a peep site?? Check that if you are it may have slid. Also check your sights and rest. if youre using a multi pin sight, make sure youre using the right pin, my neighbor was shooting with me not too long ago and he kept shooting over the bag, found out he was using the wrong pin, pulled the 30 yard pin and wala. hitting the bag everytime he shoots now.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM

theres no way my sights moved, because i marked everything to make sure it didnt. same with the rest.

well i took the bow out today and shot it for a little while. idk what happened yesturday, because now its shooting great

i only use 1 pin, good out to 35 yds w/o aiming high
Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

theres no way my sights moved, because i marked everything to make sure it didnt. same with the rest.

well i took the bow out today and shot it for a little while. idk what happened yesturday, because now its shooting great

Well, this may be your problem, there ain't a bow in the world that shoots flat out to 35yds. Even a 300fps you have roughly 8" of trajectory you have to deal with, which means you should be shooting a little low if that pin is zero'd at 35yds. I shoot my first pin to 24yds, shooting high 270's maybe peeking into low 280's after taking of a pair of brass nocks and a couple cushion buttons. Even in 24yds, I am coming in at about 2" high at 15-17yds, at 300fps, you'd be shooting about 7-8" high around 20yds with a pin ZERO'd at 35yds.

Here play with the numbers yourself..... http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html

I'd guestimate your shooting 280's being generous, not knowing DL or anything, also, a 400 series arrow is probably light on spine if you are drawing 28" or more, which can be part of your problem, and a 100gr arrow leaves you a little low on FOC, all together these can create some tuning problems to say the least. Re-Zero your pin at 25yds, and shoot from 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 yds and watch the variation. There's a reason I set my first pin at 24 and my second at 32, and it's for me a almost error proof for "hunting accuracy." Not bashing, but you need to seriously consider the variables you're dealing with. If you're whitetail hunting, MOST whitetail deer are shot at distance under 30yds anyhow, a 25 yd pin held just a tiny bit high is still good for a kill at 30yds on any bow shooting 270fps or better.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! That is amazing.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 AM

ohbowhunter....hey my bow is sighted in at 25 yds....and there is rly no difference from 25-35 yds.

yes it does shoot high when i get closer. at 10 and 15 yards i just hold low

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.