Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

badddd day.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: badddd day.

Shawn, I mean no disrespect here at all, but if you can be 2 feet off at 25 yards with no explanation as to why, then you need to practice a heck of a lot more before the season starts. Also, if you do not notice any difference between 25 and 35, then you aren't shooting good enough. Like OHbowhunter said, there is a relatively large difference, even at 315 fps which I don't think you are getting out of that bow. Hopefully it was all just a fluke and you will be dead on whena monster steps out for you this year.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

ohbowhunter....hey my bow is sighted in at 25 yds....and there is rly no difference from 25-35 yds.

yes it does shoot high when i get closer. at 10 and 15 yards i just hold low
Shawn,
There are a LOT of smart guys here, I'll not even try to say I am one of them, but even at 310fps, which I am quite sure you are not shooting, you'd have 5" of drop between 25 and 35 yds!!!!! That is FIVE INCHES!!!! If there is "no difference from 25 to 35yds," then you my friend are defying gravity or that pin if more zero'd at 31yds. Neither case is likely. I think you need to spend more time behind the bow and focus on form and release. Again, I don't mean to bust your chops, but even the guys here shootin' TRUE SPEED bows have a significant difference between 25 and 35 yds. 5" on a whitetail is the difference between a kill and a miss or a non-fatal fleshwoud. Do like I said, and "shoot from 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 yds and watch the variation." If you're not shooting a 3-4" group at 30yds, then you need to practice more or tune your bow better. Whether it's ON the bull or not, it needs to be about that tight, if it's not, then you have either a shooter or a bow tune problem. We're here to help you, but you've got to be completely honest for us to be able to help you. Throw pride out the window, and maybe we can get you straightened out BEFORE you make a bad hit on that 150" buck, then spend a sleepless night wondering WTF went wrong. Download yourself a "trial copy of OnTarget2" and tinker a little, you'll learn about different set-ups and arrow spine, ballistics, etc. You can get it here..... http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/

Good Luck getting this figured out, and again, I'd rather help you to prevent that sleepless night, because I've been where you are, and it's not fun.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:30 PM

i know you guys are here to help....

ill try to take a video or something. ive been shooting just about my whole life....first year with the new bow.

ill do a video of me shooting at 25 yards, and 35 yards. the drop is barely niticable.

and no, i wouldnt EVER shoot past 30 yards with a bow. its just the way i am.

not today because its raining.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:45 PM

yeah,wussup???? I shoot a brand new mathews switchback xt @ 72lbs. w/27" maxima 350 +100gr. point probably somewhere close to 300 f.p.s. and thespace between my 20 and 30 yard pins is probably a bit more than 1/16" using the wrong one of those pins results in a miss of about six inches!! there's more to this story than we're hearing.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I dont understand the chart in this posts link. It says my arrow will drop 12 inches from 20-30 yrds. I know that isnt true. I have shot those yardages with one pin and the is only a couple inch difference.
Maybe I am misinterpreting the chart?

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

theres no way my sights moved, because i marked everything to make sure it didnt. same with the rest.

well i took the bow out today and shot it for a little while. idk what happened yesturday, because now its shooting great

i only use 1 pin, good out to 35 yds w/o aiming high
Well, this may be your problem, there ain't a bow in the world that shoots flat out to 35yds. Even a 300fps you have roughly 8" of trajectory you have to deal with, which means you should be shooting a little low if that pin is zero'd at 35yds. I shoot my first pin to 24yds, shooting high 270's maybe peeking into low 280's after taking of a pair of brass nocks and a couple cushion buttons. Even in 24yds, I am coming in at about 2" high at 15-17yds, at 300fps, you'd be shooting about 7-8" high around 20yds with a pin ZERO'd at 35yds.

Here play with the numbers yourself..... http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html

I'd guestimate your shooting 280's being generous, not knowing DL or anything, also, a 400 series arrow is probably light on spine if you are drawing 28" or more, which can be part of your problem, and a 100gr arrow leaves you a little low on FOC, all together these can create some tuning problems to say the least. Re-Zero your pin at 25yds, and shoot from 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 yds and watch the variation. There's a reason I set my first pin at 24 and my second at 32, and it's for me a almost error proof for "hunting accuracy." Not bashing, but you need to seriously consider the variables you're dealing with. If you're whitetail hunting, MOST whitetail deer are shot at distance under 30yds anyhow, a 25 yd pin held just a tiny bit high is still good for a kill at 30yds on any bow shooting 270fps or better.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:34 PM

ummm it says my arrow will drop 33 inches at 30 yds. i must be doing something rong
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I just shot 18 yrds with my 30 yrd pin and its only 2 inches off
Old 09-12-2008, 07:24 PM

what bow do you shoot?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Hopefully it was all just a fluke

yea it was, i was so frustrated and mad i wasnt concentrating....target panic badd. thats all i was getting at

i hate target panic. drives me nuts sometimes. i only get it about 1 outta 20 shots tho. (pretty much when im thinking about it)
Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Typical Buck

bowtech tribute