Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting him to come out in the daytime

Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Getting him to come out in the daytime

I think I'll try to stay out of his area until the rut starts to heat up. The area where I got the pics has been dynamite during the rut in the past, but who knows he could be on the other side of the county by November.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Patience....
OR
Treat him to a night with a Deer Hooker
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

i would try to find out that trigger that is making him come by at such a time and try to fix it. for some bucks they don't come into the open till dark because they can be seen from the road. other won't come out cause of previous years of hunting pressure. maby you have went into the woods this year resulting in an instant nocternal reaction. one thing that works for me to get the 5-7 year old bucks to come out durring day is to give them foodplots in or near their core areas, and i only hunt on the fringe of it with a bow. i also devote 30-80% of any land i hunt to a "sansuary", i never walk through it nomatter what. i have learned that sansuary areas only need to be 20 acres max is some spots, the older bucks will learn this and always stay there.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

OK ,here`s what you need to do-get a dripper,make a mock scrape on the ground where you have seen the buck,hang the dripper obove the scrape,the dripper constricts at night so it only drips durring the day,it drips dominant buck scent on the scrape and the buck you want will be there to stop all this nonsence. This is how you change a bucks nocturnal habits.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

He has to be somewhere in the daylight. Use your deer detective skills and figure out where that is!

He is not gonna change his ways just so you can kill him. You need to go and make a plan to get to him in daylight!!

That is why they call it hunting and not KILLING.