Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walk away or fight through it?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Walk away or fight through it?

Walk away. I've found the more you fight it, more often than not (but not always) you're only going to magnify the problems. I do the same thing when I'm getting tired, or if I've just got done lifting. Because, for me, it's a major mental game. You can try to concentrate on the form, release, anchor, etc, but if you have a nagging sensation in your subconscious reminding you of all the bad shots that day, you probably are going to struggle all day. That's how I approach it. Although there were times, when I did what Rybo, and Ben did, and that's move into a closer range and concentrate solely on shot execution, but sometimes even that isn't enough (for me anyways).
Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Kinda of Funny! I had what i would call a bad day yesterday too. I usually am a pretty good shot, i work hard it. Yesterday i wasnt hitting the target like i usually do, for me missing by a few inches within 40 yards is bad. So i slowed down took a break, and when i shot i shot one arrow at a time. Made one last good shot and then ill wait till this afternoon to shoot again. I dont like pushing myself to shoot better, it usually makes it worse.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Made one last good shot and then ill wait till this afternoon to shoot again.
That's what I was trying to do. I just didn't want to put the bow down until I had one perfect shot. Problem was it never came [8D]
Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Bowshooting is all about confidence and 1 bad shot will ruin it, and every more bad shot makes it worse, put the bow down and chalk it up as an off day.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

walk away....sometimes for a couple days if i felt punchy or target panic like symptoms....

"perfect practice makes perfect"

sure i can be practicing right now....sore and tight as can be from lifting Tuesday for the first time in a lonnnnng time....but whats the sense? i'll practice bad form....and shooting will suffer....

ive tried to "shoot through it" a couple times.....i usually end up getting worse and worse no matter what range....
Old 09-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lay it down and have a couple cold ones...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Honestly, I'd expect equipment screw up. I just don't have horrible days. How can you have a horrible day if you've been shooting a bow for 40 years. You just pick it up and shoot an arrow.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep shooting until Imake a "good" 3 arrow group. Then put my bow away and try again tomorrow...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly, I'd expect equipment screw up. I just don't have horrible days. How can you have a horrible day if you've been shooting a bow for 40 years. You just pick it up and shoot an arrow.
I dont' know.. how do you have a horrible day on the golf course after playing for 30 years? Or how do you have a bad day on the golf course when you're a scratch golfer and go out one day to fire an 81? You should just be able to pick up the club, hit the ball and it goes where it's supposed to.[8D]
Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kanga

The best thing to do is walk away for a couple of hours and try again if you are still shooting like crap put the bow up for the day.

If you try and battle through it bad habbits will creep in and they are hard to get rid of.
X2

Quick Reply: Walk away or fight through it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.