Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early?

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

The longer you're there, the more scent that is there, and for longer.
I like to get into my stand and be ready to go about 10-15 minutes before shooting light for this very reason.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year my trail camera in my expected first day stand showed that the deer were in there around until around 4:30 and then came just before light at around 7. I went in at 5:30. It's peaceful.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, just come wake me up when you need me to help you drag your 130" buck out Sat morning [8D]

Ive got a good feeling about Saturday
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

I don't see an advantage to getting there 1.5 hoursbefore daylight. I'll get tired, I'll bust deer just as easily that earlyas 20 minutes before daylight, and as a couple people have already said, your scent is there longer. Unless I've got a perfectly clear path to my stand, I like tostalk my way in just as you're able to see. Again, as someone else, you're much more quiet that way.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had nothing but positive things happen by getting to the stand early..

Letting the woods relax is the best way to make your presence unknown.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

We're talking morning here, guys....lol. We're trying to catch them on their way back to bed. So....the closer you can get to the bedding area....the better spot you hypothetically should have.....to get in there, later. BUT....my best morning spot is very near their bedding area. It's a staging area. I see them go into the bedding area come out all the time.

Here's the thing that got me going in so early.

I went in one morning REALLY early. I had deer come in in the dark and bed down. At first light....they were up eating acorns. Had I gone in later....I'd bust them out. I have deer come by me in the dark a lot, too. If I waited....I'd bust them out.

And so what if I make a little more noise?????? (Although I don't see how it's possibe to make more noise earlier in the dar vs. later in the dark). If you beat 'em home.....who's gonna hear it? Isn't that the beauty of it?

Jeff, just come wake me up when you need me to help you drag your 130" buck out Sat morning [8D]

Ive got a good feeling about Saturday
I hear ya, Andy. I was thinking, today. SOMEBODY'S gonaa probably smoke a nice deer, Saturday. I just wanna see it!

Are you guys staying Saturday night?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I fall asleep!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

GT (tired of using GMMAT--hurts my fingers to type that much)......I get in early on several areas myself, trying to cut them off. I got in a full two hours before sun-up this year on the morning I killed my 8 pointer. The spot was right between two bedding areas. I knew I had to get in real early...sure enough, as soon as the sun rose...here he was chasing a doe that was trying to get into the thicker stuff.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to get there about an hour before shooting time. Only negative thing I can think of is I get cold easy. And when I get cold, my nose runs and that gets on my mask, and then my mask is soaked and then I have that pressed against my face all day. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Only disadvantage is my butt getting tired.

Another is, getting mentally tired due to the extra time waiting for light. It drives me nuts setting in a stand, or setting up on the ground, waiting to see what is going on. Setting in the pitch black can wear you out mentally. Or at least it does me.
x2

Quick Reply: Disadvantages to getting to stand REALLY early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.