Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you define "effective range?"

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Default RE: How do you define "effective range?"

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I am not sure it can be defined, there are too many variables involved. I feel that this will change with every opportunity that is presented in the woods.
100% true. It also depends on the caliber of shooter you're talking about. What you shoot consitently is not what I shoot. What you consider a safe distance I do not. Different for every person in every situation.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM

Fellas, we can "what if" this to absolute death. My point is......Don't we have to have a distance that we have predetermined we won't shoot beyond? Obviously if the woods you are in won't accomodate a 30 yard shot you can't do it......But that's got nothing to do with your abilities. I know, without question, that I CAN double lung a deer at 80 yards. But that doesn't mean I'm going to. Why? Because I can't hit that circle under "controlled" conditions 100% of the time. Jeff, you're absolutely right about things going wrong in the heat of the moment, which is why we need to have that distance determined before we ever step foot in the woods.

Doesn't there have to be a predetermined number? And to determine that number, don't we have to define it?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: DoePeeSteve

I am not sure it can be defined, there are too many variables involved. I feel that this will change with every opportunity that is presented in the woods.
100% true. It also depends on the caliber of shooter you're talking about. What you shoot consitently is not what I shoot. What you consider a safe distance I do not. Different for every person in every situation.
Exactly. Which is why I can't tell you what you're range is, YOU have to have that defined before you go out. Right?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think it varies archer to archer and plays more on ability than anything. like you said, we all know an arrow is still going to be deadly at some pretty LONG ranges. if the archer KNOWS his/her own shooting abilities, and confidently can say THEY CAN put that arrow where they want it to go, thats their decision.

myself, last season, i know i could have easily put an arrow through the lungs of a deer out to atleast 40yds.

i wont shoot much past 20 90% of the time. why? i can shoot well within the vital area of a deer VERY consistantly much past 20 yards or so...why limit myself??? other factors...deer can and will move, the areas i hunt are generally very thick...anything 20yds and your going to have a hard time finding a clear lane. i dont hunt with a range finder and i know i stink at estimating range within a few yards once im up in a tree...on the ground im fine...i can range a groundhog within 25-50yds nearly every time out to about 500yds...farther i can still usually get close regularly...i just stumble when im 20ft off the ground and have slopes up and down and left and right and everything else...environmental factors like wind and such...

just right now, in my neck of the woods, under my circumstances, it will be a very odd day if i shoot at a deer past 25yds with my bow. not because i cant shoot well past 25yds...but everything else that plays in on the shot for me....
Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Edit: I re-read it.... I would say that your def. is close but for me I would tighten the group to say 4"......Just my thought on it...
mobow, I edited my first post earlier.... MY effective range is where I can keep a consistant 4" group.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Doesn't there have to be a predetermined number? And to determine that number, don't we have to define it?
I wasn't aware that's what you were asking....but I can't put a number on it. I've killed deer fromas far as33yds....and I'd take THAT shot, again.

But I keep going back to this....

I feel that this will change with every opportunity that is presented in the woods.
That's not a cop-out....as I've said before that I'm probably comfortable inside 25yds.....with the closer (to a point) the better."Inside 20 yds"means less, to me, than the situation. I might take a longer shot at a calm deer....and not take a shorter shot at a deer on alert.

I've screwed a few up.[X(]
Old 09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mobow,
I think the bottom line definition for everyone, is all about acceptance of risk. If no one was worried about any risk what so ever, they’d take a shot as far as they could see.
BUT, you start whittling that range down by adding risk. Some risk ruining an arrow without getting meat in return. Some risk a long night on a wild goose chase blood trail. Some risk the fear of having their ego knocked down a peg with a miss. Throw in a HUGE buck and some loose all fear of risk for that one shot that MIGHT find its mark.

People can give groups & what ifs till they are blue in the face, but the bottom line is risk. Do I want to risk a wounded animal, that I may or may not find and a lost/trashed arrow that costs me $20 to replace. That is why some people will fling at any distance, while others who may be more capable of a shot, choose to shoot at a closer range.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there can be a one size fits all definition for something that obviously varies so much. Up until last season, for me...I wouldn't shoot out past 30yds. That was my effective range. This year, I could extend it given the proper conditions, but I won't. There's simply to many variables in the woods that can affect me that I don't feel CONFIDENT about my shooting. I'm CONFIDENT I can shoot 2" groups at 40yds in my backyard 90% of the time. I'm NOT confident I can do the same in the woods. Not because I'm any less better of a shot in the woods than I am in the yard, but simply because there's other factors involved. Maybe it's even something in the back of my head letting my know the implications of the risk I'm taking by stretching my effective range. If I miss at 40yds in my backyard, all that results is some frustration. If I miss that same 40yd shot in the field, we're talking about a miss, or even worse, a wounded animal.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading the question several times, I feel mobow was wanting to know how do you determine your effective range, in other words your shooting abilities. We all know that with these weary animals your shot opportunities will differ with each shot.

You know, you have been practicing all year and you feel comfortable that (on the range)(non hunting situation)your abilities will allow you to take a shot X amount of yds. Ok what are your requirments for deciding that number right there for you.

For me if I can keep a 4" group consistantly, that is my effective range. (not in the woods obviously)
but before entering the woods I know I can shoot that far b/c I can keep 4" group at that yardage.

I think thats what he was getting at...Thats whatI got out of it!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: DoePeeSteve

Exactly. Which is why I can't tell you what you're range is, YOU have to have that defined before you go out. Right?
Yes, YOU have to define it for yourself. For me, it's my first real year bow hunting. I'll do 20 yards tops. I don't havea shot from my stand that would be further. Come Oct 4th I would probably feel comfortable at 30 yards, but I wouldn't take itunless it's 100% the most prime opportunity. So for me year 1, effective range is 20 yards. Defined.

Quick Reply: How do you define "effective range?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.