Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever poached deer?

Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Have you ever poached?

I voted still do, just to mess up the poll. Because I am sure there are a few on here that "still do"

Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a little surprised at the number of people here that have poached.

I gotta think that the real number would be even higher since not everyone would probably admit toit too
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it, many moons ago when I was in high school. I haven't done it since then but I still did it, we would always load up on our land at night and fill the freezers....Where I am from they would just call it illegal hunting, poaching is hunting someone else's property as defined by our TDWF and I have never done that......I was pretty good at it too, show me an eye within 150yds with the light on itand we were cleaning deer....
Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Have you ever poached deer?

I poached a little tail back in my younger years. Split tail that is.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Have you ever poached deer?

Well here is my story and I'll bet there are others that would have done the same and probably others that would have handled it different. I took up hunting about a decade ago, so not too long. My first opening day deer gunseason I had taken hunter safety and bought a license and deer tag, but I didn't carry a gun. My first outing was meant for me to do slow one-man pushes through the woods to help the other hunters in my party. This was quite ok with meand served as a good intro to hunting. After sitting for a couple of hours after first light, I got up to do my first "push" through the woods and thickets. I hadn't gone maybe 200-300 yards when something caught my attention. There was a large doe laying dead next to a deadfall with steam just pouring off her body. She had been gut shot and dead, but was still warm as warm could be.

I went back and told one of the other hunters in the party and he came back with me to the doe. It was a cold day, but we decided that the deer should not go to waste. I field dressed the deer (good practicefor me)and we agreed that if the hunter whoshot the deer tracked it, then we would let him/her have their deer, but at least the doe could be field dressed and start cooling down. That was around 9-10am. We hunted until 5pm and no one ever showed up so I put my deer tag on the doe and checked it in. Not legal by the letter of the law, but at least the deer did not go to waste. It was much easier just doing it that way vs trying to find the county wildlife officer (of which there is one) on opening day of deer gun season. So yes, I have illegally checked in a deer that I did not shoot. I guess that is poaching?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: cooter144

I'm a little surprised at the number of people here that have poached.

I gotta think that the real number would be even higher since not everyone would probably admit toit too
And I should copy and paste them here for all the world to see.

How stupid is this post/poll. Let's just show the world how pathetic hunters really are!