Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too Much Draw Weight?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Too Much Draw Weight?

hey guys got a quick question about my draw weight. right now i'm pullin 74# with my pse, andits a 65% letoff. the new dxt i will be buying is 80% letoff, soneedless to say the amount of weight i'm holding at full draw will be considerably less. i can pull 74# with no trouble at all, and so i was thinking about trying to tune my dxt at 80# just for a little extra speed and KE. will the extra weight really make that much of a differencein speed?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too Much Draw Weight?

It will increase speed but you will also need to shoot a heavier arrow out of it, my bow at 80# with a 400gr. arrow shoots around where it would with a 350gr. arrow at 70#. The other factor is that you will likely not be able to shoot as much daily because the heavier bow will wear you out quicker. I have friends that shoot 70# bows all day long and can barely pull my bow at 82.2#. You will also get shakier on your shots as you increase your draw weight because of muscle fatigue. If you want to shoot a 400-500 gr. arrow with a lot of KE and speed then 80# is not a bad call if you can pull it, or you can lok into bows like the 82nd.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

WHY? what is everyones obsession with pulling back tons of weight? I am not knocking you directly strut so please dont take it that way. I am just wondering why does everyone want tons of weight. According to NC law you must shoot 35# to bow hunt. That being said, it takes about 32 pounds of force to pass a deer(no bone involved) I personally shoot 64# and am shooting about 285fps. Do we really need to shoot 350fps? why?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting an 80# because I wanted to shoot a 400-450gr. arrow at 300-310fps with a 28" draw and I wasn't going to shoot an X-Force or 82nd/101st.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

I was not refering to you race. The guy that posted it seems like he "just wants to shoot 80#" he gave the reason of speed and i was asking why
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 AM

Im shooting 60# on my Bear right now but thats as high as it goes. My Hoyt is set at 67#. Its where im happy at and can sit there for about 5 mins and still get off a great shot. I wish my Bear would go to 70# because it has alot more letoff then my Hoyt. I could hold that thing all day right now.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im shooting 60-63 and thats more than enough. I just dont see the need to shoot 70#-80#. I just dont see the logic in it. I was always taught that KE has everything over speed. Ill stick with 280fps.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Im shooting 60-63 and thats more than enough. I just dont see the need to shoot 70#-80#. I just dont see the logic in it. I was always taught that KE has everything over speed. Ill stick with 280fps.
A heavier arrow that is shooting faster is going to produce more K.E. I am getting 87-89# K.E. depending on my setup at 82.2# while still moving an arrow at 300-310fps thus reducing my trajectory and giving more knockdown power.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I had my Hoyt at 70# then after I had my shoulder surgery and could start pulling my bow back againg I adjusted it down to 60# I noticed no difference in the way the bow shot, just noticed that I could hold the bow longer at full draw, and felt alot more comftorable about making a shot after holding at full draw for a longer time, wasn't so shaky. I hunt with a couple of buddies that brag about there bows being cranked down to 80# and have also seen them miss nice deer due to fatigue while holding at full draw. I think it is a mental issue more than anything that the more weight you pull the bigger the deer you will shoot!!!! It is just like in the gym a guy that puts up crazy weight with bad form is not going to get as good of results as the guy who is putting up moderate weight with perfect form!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Well muscle fatigue won'treally be a problem i don't think because this is my logic: shooting74# with 65% letoff, at full draw i'm still holding back 26#. with an 80# draw with 80% letoff i would only be holding back 16# at full draw. so yes, it would take a little more power to pull the bow back, but in reality with the 80# bow i can hold it longer than my 74# bow. i figured if i could have the extra power and it be easier to pull back, why not do it?

Quick Reply: Too Much Draw Weight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.