Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too Much Draw Weight?

Old 09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too Much Draw Weight?

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

Well muscle fatigue won'treally be a problem i don't think because this is my logic: shooting74# with 65% letoff, at full draw i'm still holding back 26#. with an 80# draw with 80% letoff i would only be holding back 16# at full draw. so yes, it would take a little more power to pull the bow back, but in reality with the 80# bow i can hold it longer than my 74# bow. i figured if i could have the extra power and it be easier to pull back, why not do it?
You can only decide what is best for your hunting scenario. As stated mine was to achieve certain performance results with a specific arrow weight. I wanted a Katera after shooting them and figured out what poundage with the 28" draw length I'd need. Now when I asked the same question as you I got slammed, got the gym analogy, was told I didn't need to be He-Man etc. Truth is that I could pull a heavier bow than 80 and have easily shot a 90# bow before. If you feel this will help you achieve a specific goal then go for it. Opinions are like a**holes and in the end it is your hunt and you will pay the price for your choices. To be honest if Hoyt had offered 90# limbs I would have ordered them and shot a 500gr. arrow at 300fps just to get a little more KE.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot 85lb pull with heavey arrows and I love it. Sure it can be hard for some to pull back, so what? The last deer I had shot the arrow went straight threw 7 ribs (because of the angle it was standing in ) and I have never had a problem pulling it back. The KE from the heavey arrows as well as the control I seam to have from it I am not going to change it for nothing..
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO there is nothing funnier then going to a 3-D shoot were guys have to aim at the sky or floorto pull thier bows back.......Ive allways felt if you cant hold the bow streight out and draw it streight back your drawing to heavy of a weight......If you can draw it streight back at 80-90lbswhile looking at the target/deer more power to ya.....JMHO........