Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got busted today!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I got busted today!

Jeff, place a nice sized present in the woods with a large bow....inside write, "please I am not Jeff the hunter, I am his neighbors, the hippy loving animal loving people. I mean you no harm. Inside this present is a 2,000 lb bag of Deer Cane. On October 4th we will distribute more in this exact spot at 0800. Take Care".

And while you are in there, set up this new ground blind.....

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

I personally think to much is made out of the first time is the best time stuff! I have hunted 32 acres about 10 stands for the last 15 years and killed p&y bucks on the first set of the year and on the 30th time in one stand.
I think its much worse if you hunt the same stand over and over and over, no breaks, walking in the same way everytime. Hunting it on any wind, stuff like that hurts you worse.
2 quick stories,
1. A buddy of mine missed a big p&y buck out of his stand one evening a couple years ago. He returned to the same stand the very next morning and shot the same buck!
2. I was running late a few years ago and was busting deer all the way to my stand that morning. The last few blew and snorted as I was taking my first step up the ladder. I was in the stand 5 minutes, just light enough to see my pin and arrowed a nice 130 class 12pt.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard, (and tried last year with success) that if a deer snorts and spooks without actually SEEING you or they arent 100% sure what it is that spooked them then do a snort back at them. I have read that deer snort sometimes to vocalize to other deer just to know where other deer are.
Last year I had a deer spook for no reason I can find, and when he did he ran about 30 yards and stopped. He was behind a thicket and so I got out the buck roar by primos, gave a snort back at him, and within 2 or 3 minutes he came right back to where he was. Stood around and ate for a bit and then left after 10 minutes or so.

I'm not guaranteeing that it works everytime. Hell, I'm not 100% sure that it worked for me, but it sure seemed so. Its worth a shot anyways. All i knew was he snorted, I snorted back, and here he came back. You be the judge.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

I have heard, (and tried last year with success) that if a deer snorts and spooks without actually SEEING you or they arent 100% sure what it is that spooked them then do a snort back at them. I have read that deer snort sometimes to vocalize to other deer just to know where other deer are.
Last year I had a deer spook for no reason I can find, and when he did he ran about 30 yards and stopped. He was behind a thicket and so I got out the buck roar by primos, gave a snort back at him, and within 2 or 3 minutes he came right back to where he was. Stood around and ate for a bit and then left after 10 minutes or so.

I'm not guaranteeing that it works everytime. Hell, I'm not 100% sure that it worked for me, but it sure seemed so. Its worth a shot anyways. All i knew was he snorted, I snorted back, and here he came back. You be the judge.
I definately knew the difference in the snort he made from one that actually saw me. He was definately communicating something but from my position he didnt see me but got a whiff of me and snorted. I couldnt replicate that type of snort, or have I ever seen a call that will make that noise. Its very distinctive. I just hope to see them again in the same place on opening day!

Brett you crack me up! Im gonna remember that as I have to go retrieve my deer from their property!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Dominant Buck

The saying goes, the first time you sit in a stand is your best opportunity
Rob

I hunt in a high pressured WMA..this has been 100% true for me..nearly every 1st hunt I've seen a deer..after that ..just about forget it.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bummer. Around here that would pretty much guarantee a guy of long cold sits in a tree seeing maybe a deer way to far away, blowing. Other places it wouldn't matter much with deer densities being much higher. Va is one of those "it doesn't matter much" places.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 AM

Looks like it time to move then stand. Maybe to a trail that they use going to the honey hole.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I went into my honeyhole
I stopped right there....

These guys KEEP telling you.....and you KEEP going back in there. They're not making fun of you. They're trying to help you.

LISTEN TO THEM. I seem to make this post every week.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed deer out of the same stand on consecutive days with the gut pile of the first still visable. If I am visiting a stand site when it's close to the season opener I do not sneak in. I figure the bull in a china shop alerts them less than sneaking in. I even take my dog for the walk in.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I went into my honeyhole
I stopped right there....

These guys KEEP telling you.....and you KEEP going back in there. They're not making fun of you. They're trying to help you.

LISTEN TO THEM. I seem to make this post every week.
I totally agree.

Quick Reply: I got busted today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.