Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Move sights or rest for broadheads?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Move sights or rest for broadheads?

I am curious to see what everyone does to tune in their fixed blade broadheads. It is a given that they group well. Just not grouped in the same location as field points. (Say a 3 inch difference.)Arrow flight is good for both. (no whipping)
Do you move the rest? Or do you move the sights?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Move sights or rest for broadheads?

Move the rest. I've heard of some people saying they just adjust their sights, and although it would require adjusting the sight as you switch back and forth, is there truly a problem with this method?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM

I always try to get both the broadheads and field points hitting in the same place. Right now, my bow is shooting broadheads just like they were field points.

Now if someone made this discovery the day before season (very sad if that's the case) then I would say move your sights.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

MGH PA, I see no problem just curious as to other peoples way of thinking.

Hey ducsauce, If they were not hitting the same what would you do? rest or sights?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The PROPER way to tune a bow is to adjust the rest to get to the point that both hit at or near the same point of impact. Or at least that's my understanding.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM

ummm i wouldnt move the rest. i would move the sights

your supposed to keep the rest and arrow perfectly level rite?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

two years ago i had a simular problem. I bought blazer veins and that solved my problem. my broadheads hit the same spot as my field points!!!!!!!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Denny, if you decide to move the rest, move it very minutely. It doesn't take much to take it out of tune. You can do both, tweak the rest, tweak the sights.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: tkycaller

Hey ducsauce, If they were not hitting the same what would you do? rest or sights?
Well, mine were not hitting in the same spot. So, I tinkered a bit and got them right on. I know sometimes it's impossible to get them EXACTLY hitting the same spot but I guess I got lucky and now they are. But if all else fails, get them close and then tweak the sights too, like Mr. Rob said.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Shawn Perkins

ummm i wouldnt move the rest. i would move the sights

your supposed to keep the rest and arrow perfectly level rite?
Shawn,
If the bow's not shooting both to a similar point of IMPACT, then the TUNE is leaving a little to be desired. Certainly anytime you adjust your rest, you're gonna tweak your sight a little as well, but that's all part of getting everything where it's supposed to be. I've tried many different ways, adjusting sights, getting ticked d/t poor grouping and giving up and shooting mechanicals, going back to thinking paper-tuning was the answer, etc. If you get arrows spinning true, and the SPINE is right, then you SHOULD be able to get them close. I have 3 different Fixed BH's that fly right close to my FP's, and actually sometimes I think the BH tipped arrows fly better than my FP tipped arrows.

Quick Reply: Move sights or rest for broadheads?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.