Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Update on my back problem

Old 03-17-2003, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Update on my back problem

I feel your pain. I pulled my back out about 3 weeks ago and it gradually started to feel a little better until about a a week and a half ago the pain shot down into my calf and knee when I walked. Come to find out I got a herniated disc in my lower back. AND TURKEY SEASON IS HERE! iM definately taking the pain pills every 6 hours and a antiinflamatory once a day until the doctors figure out what to do with it. [:' (]
Old 03-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ben, a normal herniated disc will heal itself in about 6 weeks. Yes they are painfull. Huh?
Old 03-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had surgery about 3 years ago . L5S1 wish I did' nt know what that ment .Thundermug I definately feel for ya . I had a herniated disk and no they dont allways heal themselfs thats BS . The amount of pain I was in was insane felt like I had a couple of knives in my back one stuck behind my knee and a broken foot constantly . Luckly I got a great doctor and he did what they call micro indoscopic diskektomy . for a couple years I was still in pain but not too bad , as a matter of fact I felt better comming out of surgery . Glucoseamine helped me out but I' m off of it now and feel great . best of luck
Old 03-17-2003, 03:35 PM

Ben, a normal herniated disc will heal itself in about 6 weeks.

Wow......that is some seriously bad information. 100% wrong and potentially harmful.

A herniated disc will NOT heal by itself in 6 weeks. The soft tissue around the disc may calm down and ease the pain being felt in that amount of time but that is it.

You may really want to rethink your treatment options if you are being treated by the person that gave you that horrible information........just being honest.

If a herniated disc is not addressed it will lead to degeneration of that joint along with altered spinal biomechanics that will further damage that joint if you are lucky............if you are not lucky the new unbalanced pressures will manifest themselves in a segment near by leaving you with 2 problems instead of one.

Ignoring a herniated disc will get you nothing but trouble. It is pretty clear if you read the expericences of members in this thread that they all wish they had done something about it earlier instead of being macho and trying to tough it out.

Best of Luck
Old 03-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m glad I got mine fixed I could hardly walk very dificult , I walked like a 90 year old guy constant pain and very depressing . I thank god I am able to walk today . dont fool aroud with it inquire and find the best doctor you can to evaluate your situation for me I bypased the normal ortopedic doctors and went straight to a nuro surgin . Its you you deserve the best you can find .
Old 03-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got that from several websights...Mayo clinic,Webmd...etc. They said with the help of physical therapy they can and will heal.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just took a 2nd look at Mayo clinic. It said that 90% of herniated lumbar disks will heal on their own, in 2 to 6 weeks.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:44 PM

Thundermug

I am not trying to make you sound like you don' t know what you are saying. I am simply trying to help you or any others that may be unfortunate enough to have this happen to them. Just don' t like to see people getting bad information on such a serious issue.

They said with the help of physical therapy they can and will heal.

You didn' t mention PT in your other reply.........you stated that it would heal on it' s own.

With proper rest and care the soft tissue around the area will calm down and the pain will decrease. That is miles away from being the same thing as healed. If you tear the ACL in your knee and rest long enough the pain will subside and you can walk again..........until you stress the joint even slightly, then you' re back at sqaure one again.

Once the pain is gone you still have a very long way to go before (if ever) that joint will be the same as before you hurt it. In fact lack of pain is maybe the #1 reason why disc cases linger forever..........as soon as the pain goes away the person thinks they can go shovel 4 feet of snow or landscape the yard in one day............BOOM, back to reality and severe pain.........was that disc healed??? Not even close.

Disc cases do respond well (depending on severity) if addressed quickly...............When I read your post it looked like you were saying that if you just leave it alone for 6 weeks it will get better all by itself.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn' t realize that I needed to be 100% accurate and clear. I guess I should have said that most herniated disks will heal themselves without invasive techniques such as surgery. In some cases rest is all that is neccesary and in other cases physical therapy may be prescribed for as little as one visit to verify proper lifting techniques and correct posture are being used.

My source is Mayo clinic, one of the most respected group of medical professionals in the world.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was an exceptional case . You definately need to have an mri that will tell you what is going on . Dont take no for an answer .

Quick Reply: Update on my back problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.