Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Independent field test... Ultimate Camo VS Realtree AP(dial-up beware)

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Independent field test... Ultimate Camo VS Realtree AP(dial-up beware)

ORIGINAL: bowtechlove

very nice review, but i use RT AP, and i have never once had a deer see me! or anything for that matter. i think that the UC looks great, but the lighting was different for both sets of clothings, and in order for the test to be correct, there has to be the same consistant variables, to make an accurate accounting.....
but with ur field test, u have inspiredme to do one of my own.....i will post the findings when finished
Lighting was the same, Taken only moments apart from each other... Reason being, some of the pics are zoomed making it look "darker" than others, You can see the difference if you study them.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Independent field test... Ultimate Camo VS Realtree AP(dial-up beware)

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

Problem, how many of you hunt when its all green outside?? And how many of you hunt when its brown and leaves are falling to the ground with oranges,reds,yellow, and brown. The ultimate looks like a great pattern early in the season, but i would like to see how it holds come prime time in the woods this fall against the AP. Plus the ap shown is not the green pattern that is supposed to be used during the early season. Great pics but the variables on the patterns and conditions in which they are used are different.
How would it be any different? Ultimate Camo is a tree bark pattern, I have yet to see bark change colors in the fall....

And the shirt Im wearing in the RT photos is AP"G"
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

its very easy to be different. The foliage on the trees predict the light on the forest floor. The tree bark pattern is darker, hense in the thick green leaves of early season less light is penetrating the forest floor. However, during the fall more light is allowed to reach the forest floor and its refraction off the leaves reveals different light situations. The darker patterns work well in thick deep cover, but the more open patterns work well open hard woods in the fall and winter. the change of the seasons plays a huge roll on which will work better.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice, but your comparison doesn't account for the fact that deer see in entirely different ways than we do. We have much better acuity for color, detail, and shading than they do in normal light. They see much better in lower light than us, see well into the UV spectrum, and their shading acuity improves in lower light while ours decreases. UC loses points for it's "Trebark" style pattern, great in a tree, lousy in other terrain such as brush or rocky areas. It also appears to "blob"more than the more open pattern of Realtree derivatives. For a hunter who hunts multiple terrain types UC would actually be a rather poor choice.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

another good test would be to take pictures with out the zoom to be more realalistic to actual eyes of a deer. the reason bill jordan changed his patterns to make them more open, and now mossy oak, is because from a distance, darker patterns like MO breakup appear black and make a definate outline. the AP doesnt give a definate outline. The way you see it from a far is more realistic to how a deer sees things. Deer tend to catch movements and outlines. There not too worried that is the same pattern as the tree your sitting in. IM not saying the Ultimate isnt as good as the rest, im just saying different camo for different situations. I personally havent looked into the ultimate that much, i will now!! but im skeptic to see how it compares in the fall and at a distance. Those two questions still need to be anwsered in my eyes.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crenshaw

another good test would be to take pictures with out the zoom to be more realalistic to actual eyes of a deer. the reason bill jordan changed his patterns to make them more open, and now mossy oak, is because from a distance, darker patterns like MO breakup appear black and make a definate outline. the AP doesnt give a definate outline. The way you see it from a far is more realistic to how a deer sees things. Deer tend to catch movements and outlines. There not too worried that is the same pattern as the tree your sitting in. IM not saying the Ultimate isnt as good as the rest, im just saying different camo for different situations. I personally havent looked into the ultimate that much, i will now!! but im skeptic to see how it compares in the fall and at a distance. Those two questions still need to be anwsered in my eyes.
Theyre already there my friend.

Ultimate Camo from about 20yrds out.

Same pic wearing Realtree AP

Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Here ya go Crenshaw.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

yes but not with the difference in light fall brings!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT- here are some more B & W...

UC

RT

Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Your comparisons are great, and i think the treebark pattern looks good, especially hunting those hardwoods down there in SWVA, wear im going to assume your from. For me i dont always sitin oaks andbig hardwoods, and i also need a pattern that travels well, i hunt out west andthe south west,also. I think treebark is great if you plan on hunting hard wood ridges, but not convinced how well it will do in a brushy bottom, or field.

Quick Reply: Independent field test... Ultimate Camo VS Realtree AP(dial-up beware)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.