Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A deer in his backyard ?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A deer in his backyard ?

I have very limited quarters to shoot from. I've never, in 30 yearschecked to see if shooting my bow is legal or not in my town. All I know is that I've never had a problem with any neighbors, ever. I don't shoot when my back neighbors are out, and about. I usually shoot evening's/early morning. Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowdaddy1964

O.K. where do you practice? I go out back in the yard, I live in town now and you should have seen the neighbors looks when I pulled out the target and rig. People would go inside an look out the windows at me and my sons shoot (inside a 6' wood privacy fence) with amazement. We can get a 45yd corner to corner shooting lane out back. Used to live in the country and nobody knew if we shot or not. Lets just say since myself and my sons have had conversations with all the neighbors about what we were doing and why(food,outdoors friends) that they became relaxed. We told them we wont shoot any with people out in their yard by fence area and we dont shoot anywhere but at the target. They have even let their kids come over and watch and soot with us.I guess I just didn't relize how many people dont hunt/shoot at all and don't understand. All it took was a little common courtesy and now we are neighbers that hunt not FREAKS who shoot in their back yard..
bowdaddy,
In early 2000 I bought a 8 acre place that backs up to the national forest, so these days I don't have any issues with the neighbors. Before buying this place I too lived in a subdivision and would have the neighbors look at me sometimes like I was crazy, but I would be 20' up in a tree shooting at the deer in my yard..... I also had a corner of my place that went to the water plant property (there were no houses, just metal water tanks). I always have guys over at my house now and have had a few of them have accidents and let a couple wild arrows go, I would recommend to always assume the worst in that situation and prepare your shooting area for it. One reason I shot in an elevated position when I lived in the subdivision is that it put a serious downward angle on my shots and if I missed it had nowhere to go except the ground. Just throwing that out there, that might work for you too....Good luck and be safe with it brother!!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Fork Horn

I hear ya, I have a huge oak and a roof over the porch, been on and in both. I was just refering to the first time I shot in hte yard in town. Didn't want to start a war Thanks for the input

Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a foam 3-D deer target right out in front of my house. I have it set up in a sinkhole about 15' deep which allows me to practice both level and elevated shots without climbing a tree. I live in the middle of 10 acres of thick woods out in a rural area, and my nearest neighbor is over 150 yards away, so safety isn't an issue for me.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

and my nearest neighbor is over 150 yards away, so safety isn't an issue for me.
hey kevin....I trust your judgement. But I wonder just how far an arrow shot from a bow would go.....say if someone was skying their bow to draw and loosed one.

Again....just wondering.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im the town freak who is always shooting in my back yard...[8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

yea the dreaded skydraw. i have seen many arrows go flyin through the air like a patriot missle.

I guess i should consider my self lucky. my closest neighbor is........almost a mile away. i actually have 2 treestandsand 3 targets set up in my yard.

but anyway what we are trying to say is just make sure you are careful and never think "it cant happen to me".