Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you know who your CO is?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Default RE: Do you know who your CO is?

I know one of the wardens from my area pretty well, the problem we have is that we only have 2 or 3 and they have to cover A LOT of ground.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

Good for you, but ours is a total prick, and there is pretty much no scenario where I would intentionally talk to him. I agree, they CAN be a resource if you find one that still thinks they are human too.
Both of ours are as well. I know they have the right to do what they do, and it must be nerve-racking walking up to people with guns all day, but they could have a better attitude about it than treating me like I am a piece of garbage[>:]I've had more than a couple bad experiences (no tickets)
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have a few contacts with Law Enforcement, including the GW. I told a story a while ago about a deputy harassing me about a bow in my back seat with arrows in the quiver. He was looking for anything he could do to write me up for something...even accused me of hunting out of season because I had my bow and was coming out of the woods (on my own leased property).

I have had more contact with animal control than any other game and inland fishery guys. I have actually found a loophole to get ridof the hounds that are constantly running deer on my land and it didnt come from the GW that said there was nothing I could do.

I have called my buddy at animal control on numerous occasions to come and get the hounds. If they are not wearing their rabies tags and county tags on their collar, its a violation and he takes them to the pound where they get a nice bath, flea or tick control, a good meal or two, and get tested for worms, etc. The thing that is helping me rid them of coming back is the fee (bond) the owner has to pay to get his dog back.

My point is that is a very wise decision, just as GMMAT says, to at least get to know their name and build some type of relationship. Unfortunately my county is probably the largest in the state and the limited numbers of GW's dont really seem to want a buddy to talk to about hunting and regs. They are too busy out driving their F350 4x4's writing fishing citations and checking for unlicensed hunters. I have a GW that lives about 3 or 4 miles from me and I always wave at him while passing but he never waves back. Seems like a real pompous *******. I have talked hours with the Animal control guy, and even have plans to hunt with him this year.

You are lucky Jeff to have contact with him 3-5 times a year, our GW doesnt even have a phone number to call. Its all dispatched through the county and 9 out of 10 times they dispatch me to animal control. I live in such a rural area I sight my scope in on my muzzleloader in my back yard, even go through a few boxes of shotgun shells target shooting.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

We don't have just one. I've made contact on a number of occasions more so in the lines of tracking and working with the UBT on legalizing tracking as well as acquiring permission for parts of deer for Axel's training.

The Poacher Hotline is in my speed dial of my cell phone though.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know our agent very well. She, yes i said she, is a great person and a straight shooter. its not that she is just a prick, cause somepeople think she is.
She just knows she has a job to do and sometimes she has to put her foot down to get the message across.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Offer to take him/her hunting sometime.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the reason so many GW's are bunched up is because they have to work during the rut.
I wonder how much trouble they would have getting permission to hunt private land. Itwould be like the cop showing up at your doorlooking for a donation to thePolice Assn. You don't have to donate but maybe you should.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I normally hunt in two counties here in Ohio. I know one pretty well and he has always treated myself and my hunting partner's very well. On a couple occasions he has brought out the Robo deer to try to catch some poachers on our lease land. I do not know much about the other.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know my CO (two of them) that I run into frequently, especially ice fishing.

One of them, however, has it out for us. (Even though he never can pin us with anything, he is always trying). Why, you ask?

Because one of my buddies, DAD, yes DAD ran from him on a snowmobile (he was speeding). I guess that is my fault, and my buddies
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know my CO, Wardens and Rangers on the public land I hunt. I'm friends with all of them. Great guys and a great source of info. One of the is a big time Coyote hunter and we share yote sightings etc.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.