Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why can't we hunt from canoe's or kayaks?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why can't we hunt from canoe's or kayaks?

Here is a state regulation here in Virginia:

Unlawful method: "Kill or attempt to kill any deer while in a boat or other type of watercraft. "

I bet it would be alot of fun to hunt deer from a kayak or canoe, slowly slipping along the banks of the river or lake. I just don't understand why it is outlawed? Any thoughts?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why can't we hunt from canoe's or kayaks?

Is that the full wording of the regs? Just curious. In "some" states it's similar....BUT....I know you can take game from a boat in SC and other states.....as long as the boat is not under power. I feel it's likely a safety issue for the hunter and passengers in the craft.

I'd also wonder if a canoe/kayak was considered a "watercraft" or a "boat" for the purposes of the regs. If I was interested in doing it.....I'd sure find out.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, that is the full wording of the regs. I tried to find a regulation that gave me a loophole to work with, and this is the best I could find:

"All game birds and animals, except deer, may be hunted with shotguns from boats"

And I want to hunt alone, so safety for the other will not be a concern. I don't see how it is any more dangerous than hunting from 20 feet in the air.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Nor do I, Brett. But I'd get a clarification if I was interested. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's illegal in PA out of any motorized boat/canoe. I'm not sure about non motorized ones. I think it would be a neat way as well however, trespass laws then come into play. You can access the waterways but not the land.

I love Germ's setup where he sneaks in behind the deer in the morning with his boat to set up in their bedrooms.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the idea of shooting a helpless deer that is swimming creates a negative public image and therefore the law disallows hunting deer from a boat. Besides it gives the hunter an "unfair advantage" over deer on land since it provides a silent approach.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Talondale

I think the idea of shooting a helpless deer that is swimming creates a negative public image and therefore the law disallows hunting deer from a boat. Besides it gives the hunter an "unfair advantage" over deer on land since it provides a silent approach.
It's illegal to shoot at an animal taking refuge in water in PA.

I was talking about drifting and shooting onto land. "Unfair advantage"? What about treestands, pop up blinds, shooting houses etc?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Is that the full wording of the regs? Just curious. In "some" states it's similar....BUT....I know you can take game from a boat in SC and other states.....as long as the boat is not under power. I feel it's likely a safety issue for the hunter and passengers in the craft.

I'd also wonder if a canoe/kayak was considered a "watercraft" or a "boat" for the purposes of the regs. If I was interested in doing it.....I'd sure find out.
GMMAT hit it on the nose. It's all about your state regulation. I work in the insurance industry, full of words. The difference between a boat, kayak, and canoe in my world is tremendous.

Why is it illegal for deer and not other animals? I would say margin of error. In a kayak, you can't stay still, not on a water way that has any movement (pending on the kayak it can be reduced). Canoes and smaller boats still roll with waves.Aim at a parallel to the ground with a rifle or bow to your target, miss,and youcould potentially goa long ways and kill someone. Shot guns have a wider spray and shorter travel distances, therefore making your margin of error less than that of a rifle and much more than a bow. Thinkhow many thingscan go wrong with shooting a bow. Shooting towards land from a boat, with abow, isn't safe. You're much more prone to makea mistake and wound the deer or someone else.

Regardless of watercraft I think it's a good rule.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Nobody's advocating shooting swimming deer....and there's a rule in effect in my state to protect them from such no matter where the hunter is shooting from.

The second part of your statement.....is a personal opinion. But what's the difference in shooting from a boat....or arriving from boat in the darkness and climbing 20' to wait for him?

I don't see it as an advantage....unless it's for gaining acces to where they are, THEN climbing. A man in a boat on the water would seem to stick out like a sore thumb, to me. You're also limiting your shots to deer within bow range of you (naturally). But you have the added dimension, there. Distance from you to shore.....distance of deer from shore. We'd probably have as many hunters drown as we would P&Y's taken. I'm betting the deer would vote FOR it.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am guessing the reason for it has more to do with inhibiting trespassing than anything else. To easy to shoot animals on someone else's shoreline.

Quick Reply: Why can't we hunt from canoe's or kayaks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.