Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unloading your quiver

Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Unloading your quiver

The one doe I did spine went down like a bag of rocks and couldn't get up. I saw her struggle to get up several times and she couldn't moved, so I climbed out of my blind and slowly walked up to her bow drawn and aimed the entire time and released one more arrow at nearly point blank range. I wouldn't reccomend that if you weren't sure but I knew she wasn't getting up from watching her for about 30 seconds and wanted to make one final and quick shot. I would empty the quiver, though, if I had to. In fact, spined or not, I'd keep sending arrows as long as the deer was still standing and in range.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob...and NY:

You both make valid points. Conceded. If you think the chances of you even hitting the deer are slim....I concede getting down may be the best bet.

NY I carried 4 arrows for the last 3 seasons....and unloaded my quiver twice, to date. When I shot my '07 8 pointer.....I spined him from 20yds. He dropped and started dragging himself with his front legs. My second arrow missed him, totally. The third was a shot into his left ham. The fourth was a shot into his belly from 50yds. If I'd needed to I could have gotten down and retrieved a previously shot arrow to finish him with. He was "done" before I could think about that.

I knew she wasn't getting up from watching her for about 30 seconds
No wrong answer Minnesota....but in that amount of time my quiver would have been empty.....or she'd have stopped moving.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Understand GMMAT. This was my second deer and she did a face plant from my shooting lane behind a tree that made it difficult to send arrows from the blind.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only deer I've ever spined, I put3 arrows in. I followed up w/ 2 in the vitals. He expired quickly after that.

I only had 4 arrows that day (now i carry more) but I kept one to have on the bow as I approached the animal.

I grew up under the ideology that if it was still moving, and still w/in range, you keep shooting. Even w/ a gun, and even if I know the first shot was good. I've had "sure-things" get away, and dont take chances now. Additionally I like the animals to expire as quickly as possible...
Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Again Minnesota.....extenuating circumstances....and I'm sure you did what you thought was right. Kudos. You were the only one there.

Ed.....Love that post. Thanks for posting it. I feel the same way.

I grew up under the ideology that if it was still moving, and still w/in range, you keep shooting. Even w/ a gun, and even if I know the first shot was good. I've had "sure-things" get away, and dont take chances now. Additionally I like the animals to expire as quickly as possible...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once an arrow is sent into the heart/lungs, I see no reason to put another one in there. Now if the person keeps missing the heart/lungs either keep shooting or move closer. Only once have I been able to make a 2nd shot from my stand, I always have to get down and go over to the deer.
I’ve been involved in some other situations, but I don’t feel it necessary to air it out here.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Ryan....

I've gotten a follow up shot on a vitals hit deer, once. I don't think that happens very often....and I agree with your opening sentence 100%.

THE reason I posted this.....is threefold, and relate to "mostly" spine hit deer:

1. I think we need to do everything we can to end the animal's suffering in record time.
2. Deer CAN get up from a temporary incapacitation.
3. I've seen SO many people lately on TV spine a deer and "seemingly" (though we never really know what occurs off camera) hang their bow back up and pan away (panning away for obvious reasons - public viewing).

I just wanted to tll maybe some of the newer guys OR those who haven't experienced this that there are options at our disposal....and that shot selection need not be so stringent at these times (IMO).

That is all.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen SO many people lately on TV spine a deer and "seemingly" (though we never really know what occurs off camera) hang their bow back up and pan away (panning away for obvious reasons - public viewing).
I've noticed that also. The educated hunter (viewer) knows that the deer is more then likely still alive while someone is chatting away (and often high fiving the cameraman) to the camera. That's just not right. [:@]

Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I just see so many guys/gals on TV spine one and put their bow back on the hook while it lies there. Makes me sick.
Don't you think that a good portion of those scenes are simply shown with any follow up edited out? I know if we had a spine shot, I would not show the follow up(s). There is just no value to the viewing experience to see arrows shot into a struggling deer, IMO. In fact, it most likely is against the OC and Pursuit network's producer guidelines to show such a follow up. Same policy that keeps shows from showing the impact in slow-mo...which I do think adds to the viewing experience.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't you think that a good portion of those scenes are simply shown with any follow up edited out?
I would hope so, but I'm not always sure. If that was the case, why not just mention something so viewers are not left in the dark?

I know if we had a spine shot, I would not show the follow up(s).
I don't think you would have to show it. But whena viewersees a spine shot and everyone starts hooting and high fiving immediately after the shot, wouldn't you think it may be a little deceptive if you didn't at least mentioning something?

Quick Reply: Unloading your quiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.