Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unloading your quiver

Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Unloading your quiver

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I wouldn't unload my quiver into a spine shot deer, but I would put 1 more arrow thru the lungs, thats all it would take to kill it!
You're missing the point. Rarely (as in never.....in my circumstances) will you have an unencumbered, "sure-thing" shot at the vitals. In this case.....I feel like it's MORE ethical to throw caution to the wind and shoot anyways. A vitals follow up is "ideal" but ANY arrow hitting the deer is better than one NOT sent.
I'm not missing anything! Let me put it in your terms. If I spine shot a deer, I would put a second arrow thru the lungs, thats all it would take to kill it! "If" the second arrow "didn't" go thru the lungs, I would send another arrow thru the lungs. "and so on".... Is that the answer you want???? I would not keep shooting arrows into the lungs, "one" arrow is enough!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

You're awesome. I've tried it on several occasions and hit the lungs on a follow up (deer was moving) ONCE.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know if I'd keep flinging arrows or "unloading my quiver" trying to just hit the deer. I'd get as close as I could to the deer and put as much importance on the follow up shot that I did on my first shot.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm assuming that the deer has lost any movement of it's back legs and that I am in a treestand. If I could get a clean shoot at it from whereI was I would take it within my limitations. If not, I would get down and walk up to itthen take a clean shot.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're awesome. I've tried it on several occasions and hit the lungs on a follow up (deer was moving) ONCE.

Did you unload your quiver into its lungs, or..... just the one arrow?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm just having trouble, Bob, understanding why we would worry about "limitations" or whether or not we could get a sure vitals shot on a deer that is most likley mortally wounded and in need of being dispatched, quickly.

I'd throw shot selection ethics out the window if I thought there was a "chance" I could put one in the deer. OF COURSE I'd try to make the shot as lethal as possible.....but waiting for a clean shot......or even a "high percentage" shot wouldn't be in my mind.

50-70 yds? Sure. Every time.Shot facing straight away? Most definitely. Quartering to? Yep. See a pattern?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

BHF....If you're THAT good....this thread doesn't apply to you....as you'd never miss the vitals on a still deer in the first place.

This thread is for those who've made physical errors in their initial attempts.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I think limitations are still importantmainly because I know he is not going anywhere and it may actually be quicker for me to take him out after getting down, then flinging arrows, missing or further wounding him non-fatally, retrieving missed arrows, and then putting him down for good.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not Bob but I'd like to give my .02. Actually you answered it yourself...........

why we would worry about "limitations" or whether or not we could get a sure vitals shot on a deer

most likley mortally wounded and in need of being dispatched, quickly
Seems like the best way to dispatch it quickly is to do everything in your power to hit the vitals rather than hit the deer.

50-70 yds? Sure. Every time.Shot facing straight away? Most definitely. Quartering to? Yep. See a pattern?
How many arrows do you carry?[8D]
Old 09-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

BHF....If you're THAT good....this thread doesn't apply to you....as you'd never miss the vitals on a still deer in the first place.

This thread is for those who've made physical errors in their initial attempts.
Why so defensive? Instead of the cheap shot you should of just answered the simple question! Your not awesome!

Quick Reply: Unloading your quiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.