Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sight Questions

Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM

Default Sight Questions

Like i posted earlier, i have no clue what kind of sights this is?
its a bowtech tomkat, does this come stock on some from the company or did the shop put it on?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 AM

Default RE: Sight Questions

That is the same sight that came on my Tomkat.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 AM

yeah, but what kind is it? i mean i dont know the name of it.....if its a reliable sight, i have been having a little bit of problems with low shots and i dont know if its the sight or not or if its me, i dont think its me cuz i get great groups, just low and to the left, i make adjustments and nothing really happens?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably YOU, or the tune on your bow. Did it suddenly happen, or had you not shot in a while and then when you got the bow out, you notice it's not hitting where it used to???? If you have to move the sight a LOT, then I'd check the peep, and make sure the arrow rest is "where it's supposed to be." I've had set-ups that as the string stretched, I had to continuously make slight adjustments until I got to the point that I had to "FLIP the base to allow the whole housing to be in a different position all-together. How old is the bow, the string, etc???
Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

If you were getting good groups (on your mark groups)....and now you're not.....obviously something's changed. Off the top of my head it could be any of the following (and guys can add things if they wish, naturally):

1. Sight moved.
2. Anchor changed
3. Peep moved
4. changed arrows or arrow components?
5. Draw weight changed
6. Draw length changed
7. rest moved
8. nocking point moved
9. cam lean
10. User error

As you can see....it could be a number of things.....but the first thing "I" would do is make sure everything was tightened up........then make sure my center shot was "right".

If those two things have been accomplished, then you can re-sight your bow in. If you THEN have issues.....you need to take your bow in to a qualified repair person. You have bigger issues (which may or may not be listed above).

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM

im pretty sure its a little of both; me and the bow
the groups are consistant, but low to the left a little about 1/2 in, and i realized, out of just being dumb, i was only shooting and sighting in at about 16 yds, instead of what i thought was 25! dont ask how i di that, but i did....
but now i have a little handle on things with it, and am going to shoot until its right!!
i only have a few more days till opener!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

and i realized, out of just being dumb, i was only shooting and sighting in at about 16 yds, instead of what i thought was 25!
Dude....tell me you own a rangefinder.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

move your pins the direction they are missing....if your consistantly grouping low left every time, its time to adjust the sights.

move the sights slightly low and slightly left till your hitting where you want it to.