Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had to turn down a hunter...

Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Had to turn down a hunter...

Well, this is certainly a first for me especially since I don't even own the property I hunt on (my dad and uncle do). I received a call last evening from a hunter who moved from IOWA to the area in the traveling nurse program. He must have run into my uncle somewhere in town, and mentioned he was looking for a place to hunt. My uncle told him to call me since I'm the one who hunts our property the most in archery season (and also plant and maintain it). The guy was extremely polite and we talked a bit about the hunting in the area, antler restrictions, etc, but I couldn't grant him position to hunt here, and I was having a hard time just coming out and telling a fellow hunter no. Reason being is we own 90 acres, about 60% of that is actually huntable. I have stands spread all over the property, my dad's good friend hunts some in archery season, my uncle's best friends son-in-law hunts it some during archery season, and our one neighbor hunts it about every other saturday. I just didn't feel there was room for any more. I did, however, give him the names of two local farmers in the area who I know let hunters in, so I told him to go knock on the doors, talk for a while, and see what happens. I also gave him directions to SGLs in the area if he wanted to go that route.

In the end, I felt pretty bad turning somebody down, but I think it was justifiable. What do you guys think?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Had to turn down a hunter...

From the sound off it you know the property better than anyone else, you manage it and you had to make a decision....I have no quarrels with that at all....
Nontypical Buck

sounds like you did a goos job. you didn't just tell him no and slam the door in his face. you even steered him in a direction that might score him some land.
Nontypical Buck

MGH--I think you were justified in your decision. 60 huntable acres being visited by 4 other hunters off and on is enough. Plus, you worked hard getting ready for the season and should reap the benefits. Do not lose any sleep over it. You did right.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could have just said no and left it at that but instead offered other options to him which was a good gesture. I think he should be happy that he was offered other areas and info even though you had no more room for another hunter.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You did a good deed, leading him in the right direction. Some times you just have to look out for your own interests.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

you handled it very well,you thought about how many are already hunting the land and the suggestions are more than alot of people would have done.If and when I get turned down I hope it's someone like you!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

From Iowa?? I would of hinted around about his hunting land he has there? Maybe a swap would of worked??
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: twildasin

From Iowa?? I would of hinted around about his hunting land he has there? Maybe a swap would of worked??
Thats exactly what I was thinking!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 AM

I had to do the same thing last week bro, yeh it sucks, but land is so far a few between now.

Quick Reply: Had to turn down a hunter...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.