Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Had to turn down a hunter...

Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Had to turn down a hunter...

That sounds like a perfect way to handle that situation.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I had to do the same thing last week bro, yeh it sucks, but land is so far a few between now.
well said... its gonna get worse every year. Its hard to turn anyone down. I have a select few spots that I only hunt and manage. Granted I would love to let hunters in with me, but I spend hours and hours on that land getting everything perfect for season. Its nice to have a few spots to yourself so you know that no one should be in the area when you are hunting.

The biggest thing is that you were nice to him.. most just slam the door while saying no!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

From Iowa?? I would of hinted around about his hunting land he has there? Maybe a swap would of worked??
Yeah I would love to hunt Iowa, but I really don't have the time/money to be able to do much traveling during hunting season (big downside to being a teacher). I would have like to let him on regardless of me getting anything out of it, I just didn't feel like it would be feasible. I hope he does make out and find a good place this fall. I could only imagine being in his shoes.

Thanks for the encouragment guys, I was kind of second guessing myself, but the more I think about it, I think I did the right thing.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think I would have offered to take him when I was the only one in there. But I would have first found out about his IOWA connections
Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I think you did the right thing bud. Does not sound like there is any room for anyone else. You also did a good deed by helping him out with other places.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

with only that much ground, and that many people already hunting it I think you did the right thing. At least you were polite about it, and gave him some other people to contact.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Well, this is certainly a first for me especially since I don't even own the property I hunt on (my dad and uncle do). I received a call last evening from a hunter who moved from IOWA to the area in the traveling nurse program. He must have run into my uncle somewhere in town, and mentioned he was looking for a place to hunt. My uncle told him to call me since I'm the one who hunts our property the most in archery season (and also plant and maintain it). The guy was extremely polite and we talked a bit about the hunting in the area, antler restrictions, etc, but I couldn't grant him position to hunt here, and I was having a hard time just coming out and telling a fellow hunter no. Reason being is we own 90 acres, about 60% of that is actually huntable. I have stands spread all over the property, my dad's good friend hunts some in archery season, my uncle's best friends son-in-law hunts it some during archery season, and our one neighbor hunts it about every other saturday. I just didn't feel there was room for any more. I did, however, give him the names of two local farmers in the area who I know let hunters in, so I told him to go knock on the doors, talk for a while, and see what happens. I also gave him directions to SGLs in the area if he wanted to go that route.

In the end, I felt pretty bad turning somebody down, but I think it was justifiable. What do you guys think?
I tell guys to go pound sand all the time. You were very polite
Old 09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to preserve a spot for you and others that have been hunting there already. You did the right thing and offered assitance by providing names