Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

creeks

Old 09-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default creeks

where do you set up near creeks.
I plan to set my stand off a creek about 5 feet there is a trail about 5 or yards from the stand goign across the creek.

Would you set up right on the creek or off in the woods alittle.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Default RE: creeks

Set up right on the creek in case he is using it. Then you have a shot in the creek and in the woods surrounding the creek. Never underestimate the power a creek has as a travel corridore for big bucks. Did I spell corridore right?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would set up a little more than 5 yards from the trail...if you can get to 15 yards and still have a good shot angle, do it. Sometimes deer come up on you very quickly in the early season and you have to make a move with your bow to get a shot. 15 yards will give you enough wiggle room in case a deer moves in on you quickly, 5 yards will not.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have this stand set up 40 or 50 yards into the woods. The deer cross from the bedding area on the other side of the creekand use the area around my stand as a staging area just before dark. I know this from years of hunting here. I'd probably hunt the actual crossing if I didn't know the previous information though.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lifesadrag

I have this stand set up 40 or 50 yards into the woods. The deer cross from the bedding area on the other side of the creekand use the area around my stand as a staging area just before dark. I know this from years of hunting here. I'd probably hunt the actual crossing if I didn't know the previous information though.
Sorry....forgot to add the pic.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where there are creeks around my parts, then their are valleys. I like to findplaces where deer walk ridgesor steep spots where they use one trail to go from top to bottom.If you can find a place where they cross, especially a not-so steep portion of a bank, then thats also a good setup as well.

Creeks are also useful for getting to yourspots scentand noise free.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

i aslo thought 5 was alittle close.
But there is no tree within 30 yards that would give me a shot except two right on the trail 15 or 20 yards from the creek
ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I would set up a little more than 5 yards from the trail...if you can get to 15 yards and still have a good shot angle, do it. Sometimes deer come up on you very quickly in the early season and you have to make a move with your bow to get a shot. 15 yards will give you enough wiggle room in case a deer moves in on you quickly, 5 yards will not.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

not here it is all flat only vally is the one the creek is in I.E the bank.
Indiana is not known for the hills.
A guy told me about a spot. He said there is a mountain ridgejust north of where i was scouting he said they hang out kinda on the top side in a clearing. I went there is was a hill maybe 50 feet higher then the road.
I said that is a hill a small hill.
ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Where there are creeks around my parts, then their are valleys. I like to findplaces where deer walk ridgesor steep spots where they use one trail to go from top to bottom.If you can find a place where they cross, especially a not-so steep portion of a bank, then thats also a good setup as well.

Creeks are also useful for getting to yourspots scentand noise free.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Better check your local laws before shooting "in the creek". In many places it's not legal to shoot a deer while in any body of water.

ORIGINAL: steelslinger

Set up right on the creek in case he is using it. Then you have a shot in the creek and in the woods surrounding the creek. Never underestimate the power a creek has as a travel corridore for big bucks. Did I spell corridore right?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i aslo thought 5 was alittle close.
But there is no tree within 30 yards that would give me a shot except two right on the trail 15 or 20 yards from the creek
Right on the creek is OK, but don't be RIGHT on the trail.

And Slinger, it's "CORRIDOR" but I agree, a lot of people don't realize how dere use them astravel "corridors."

Quick Reply: creeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.