Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow issues

Old 09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow issues

So I put my muzzy's on two nights ago and started shooting. I shot my first 11 and was right on. The 12th did a 180 of my rest and hit high. I shot another dozens and they all had some spin coming off the rest. I checked my knocks and my vanes and everything was the same as before. Yesterday I come back and shoot and the same thing. I then notice that one of the plastic pieces which hold the cable and string together was gone and teh cable was leaning aginst one of my limbs. It must have popped off. It is a Golden eagle. I tried to find a site and it seems they are no longer in business they were bought out. Does this sound like the reason i would have just developed this twist in my arrow flight?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bow issues

I sound like a broken record a lot......but here goes....

Are your arrows numbered?

Does it happen with EVERY arrow (and plese describe "twist")?

Are all of your cock vanes oriented the same way....exactly?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

yes they are numbered, yes, after the 11th shot it has happened with every arrow even though most times after they twist they hit where I was aiming they were not doing this earlier. My vanes are oriented the same and my nocks have not moved. When they come off my rest they roll half a circle to the left.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The whole arrow does like a corkscrew, or the arrow spins from the helical/offset? Not to be an ass...but if you can see that..you have some good eyes!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ALL arrows spin when they come off the bowstring. If they're NOT spinning......THEN I'd worry.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds to me like your cams are too round. Check your top and bottom cam, make sure neither one of them has become rounded-off. It's not uncommon for an older bow like that to have worn the cams to a point where they've lost their hump/valley. If you have too round of a cam, you could be in trouble.

Also, check to see if your bow has a wooden handle. Sometimes the wooden handle can really mess up the flight of a carbon arrow. Something about the electromagnetic forces between the wood/carbon. My old roommate was an astrophysicist at MIT, and he tried to explain it to me... I'm kinda dumb when it comes to stuff like that... so, I really can't be of much more assistance.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

the arrow corkscrews, it had not done this till 2 days ago
Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

"Corkscrewing"...sounds like "tailing". The first thing I'd do is figure out why I wasn't getting vane clearance (which is what it sound s like, to me.....assuming you're spined, correctly). If you're not getting this to occur with all of your arrows.....I'm a bit perplexed. That's why I asked if you oriented all of your vanes in the exact same manner. It doesn't make sense you'd get it with one arrow and not the others.

All vanes are the same?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

all are corkscrewing now. None were previously
Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

The first thing I'd do is figure out why I wasn't getting vane clearance (which is what it sound s like, to me.....assuming you're spined, correctly).
Assuming you had center shot set before you started experiencing these issues.....and nothing has moved......this is where I'd look.

Something's changed, though.

When they come off my rest they roll half a circle to the left.
What does this mean?

Quick Reply: Bow issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.