Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here come the food plots!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Here come the food plots!

Shawn, Rex, and I have been working hard the past few weeks to get the soil beds prepared and the seed spread before season started last weekend in North Dakota for us. The plots have been done for a couple weeks now and we have been fortunate enough to get a little rain and sun the first week. The past few days we have gotten a ton of rain and after a few days of sun the plots should really take off! Heres how they are coming along so far after two weeks.

We planted mainly Biologic Maximum, but also planted some buck forage oats. Can’t wait to see how these turn out!

Looks like the oats are a little behind, but they are coming along!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Here come the food plots!

Oats have been slow here, turnips also, but its so freecken dry, like the Sahara, its not a real surprise. We got (are still getting) a real soaker, so I think the stuff will really do well now. The brassicas that got planted early are knee high (and my knees are high), and the deer are taking advantage. Yours are looking nice, and should be real green when it comes time to hunt them!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awsome, nothing like seeing the green fuzz. I planted AK honey hole a few weeks ao and we have had absolute perfect weather this year, moisture, cool nights, good sun, the turnips and rape are about 5 inches high already and growing fast, my spring plot was a jungle till the deer honed in nad now they keep it well groomed. Good luck with the plot gents1
Old 09-04-2008, 03:12 PM

After all the hard work we put into that plot, it is really good to see how well it is doing!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looking good Mike!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Looking at planting W.I. Double cross in western KY, That includes the brassicas. Did you do anything special to establish your good stand? I have some lime and fert. issues so won't be able to plant til next fall, but really want to do it up right.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: steelslinger

Did you do anything special to establish your good stand? I have some lime and fert. issues so won't be able to plant til next fall, but really want to do it up right.
The soil that we planted in is really good soil so we didnt need to lime or fertalize. I would recomend testing your soil though if your not sure, then do what is right.

We just disked up the ground and spread the seed, then harrowed it in. Nothin too fancy...
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good Mike. Maximum is one of my favorite plots to actually hunt over. Between the 4-6 week mark from seed date you will really see them take off.

This year I seeded in lateJuly, and I haven't been there for a few weeks to take pics.As of mid August my maximum looked like the pic below:

Quick Reply: Here come the food plots!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.