Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poison Ivy!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Poison Ivy!

So I want to set a stand in this particular tree on a feild edge on my property. Only problem is the base is pretty well covered in poison ivy. I get this stuff pretty easily so I have a hard time even looking at it.

Is there ANY way I could possibly get this stuff off the tree with all reminants of it gone so I can hang my stand here? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hang it down the way in another tree. Just looking forsome tipsfor next year perhaps.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Poison Ivy!

Not sure about ivy....but most of the big vines you see on the side of hardwoods are poison oak.

Be very cautious. I can't think of too many more unpleasant things than having posion ivy or poison oak and hunting the early season.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use some spray that kills poison ivy and spray it!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate that stuff! I'd probably just find another tree, never have seen any great cures for it.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted in an ivy filled tree last year, but I cut it down with my Stihl pole saw, prehaps overkill, but I get it easily too, so I cut from a distance! Long sleeves, rubber gloves, longs pants, boots, all are a must though! Good luck, and perhaps have some prednisone and Xanfel on hand just in case!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I deal with this at least once a season. Usually I just suck it up and cut the vines off and deal with the poison ivy I get later.

If you get it bad I would suggest covering yourself head to toe and going in and cutting the vines away. Once you get out of the woods strip down and put on new clothes and bag the ones you were wearing. Throw them in the wash as soon as you get home and get in the shower in case you did get some oil on you. The only way to prevent getting it is to avoid the oil. It's on all surfaces of the poison ivy, even the vines so make sure your hands are covered too.

It's either that or find another tree.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Spike

im trying to get rid of some right now. probably best to find another tree.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DowningAir

So I want to set a stand in this particular tree on a feild edge on my property. Only problem is the base is pretty well covered in poison ivy. I get this stuff pretty easily so I have a hard time even looking at it.

Is there ANY way I could possibly get this stuff off the tree with all reminants of it gone so I can hang my stand here? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hang it down the way in another tree. Just looking forsome tipsfor next year perhaps.
I'm in the same boat. Here is my suggestion for next year. Take a small saw and cut completelythroughall of thevines down close to the ground sometime soon (wear rubber gloves and wash your hands good as soon as possible after). Then, wait until it is COMPLETELY dead and dried out good (next year sometime)and it will be easy to get out of/off of the tree. Even at that, cover up good before you try to remove it! Works for me!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

That stuff sure is nasty. I never get it however, not sure why. I've been in the woods with many people around ivy/oak and a few days later they are swamped with it, but not me!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can roll in poison ivy naked if the leaves werent oily. Then its just another plant, so The long pants approach only works if your going to burn the pants after you wear them along with everything else that has the oil on it. I dont get poison ivy, but I do get poison oak. All i do is just steer clear of it or like someone said theres a ton of products that kills only poison ivy

Ryan.

Quick Reply: Poison Ivy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.