Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poison Ivy!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Poison Ivy!

Round-up makes a heavy brush, poison ivy killer. You might try that.

I hung a stand in a poison ivy infested tree once, one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Three days later I couldn't hardly see b/c my eyes were almost swollen shut. But that wasn't the worst of it, I apparently relieved myself while I had oil all over my hands. You can use your imagination for the remainder of the story. If I were you, I would just try to avoid it all together.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Those furry looking vines are poison oak, I look at it and get it.[&:][]

I am literally covered in poison ivy right now from a recent dove shoot. Knew I shouldnt have worn shorts.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

poision ivy is one of those things people have a lot of misconceptions/myths about.

you dont get poison ivy unless your skin comes into direct contact with it/also poison ivy doesnt spread..it bonds to your skin cells after a short period of time...severity/conditions of direct contact dictates how soon breakout occures...thats why people dont get it certain places unless they touch that place shortly after contact...most people get it on their face hands forarms and calves because everything else is covered up..at the time of contact.

.just cover up head to toe. long gloves..wear a ski mask if you have too.. tuck your shirt in....chances are you wont get it....

do some research....its even possible that what your looking at isnt poison ivy.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM

make sure it is ivy, virginia creeper is extremely common and looks like ivy.
virginia creeper below

ivy below

best of luck
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVSPORTSMAN

make sure it is ivy, virginia creeper is extremely common and looks like ivy.
virginia creeper below

ivy below

best of luck
Yes, it is amazing how many confuse the two. And that poisonOakis a shrub, and poison Ivyis a vine.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Problem with posion OAK is.....it morphs from season to season. I try not to touch ANY of them!.....lol
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

How does Poisoning Occur?
Poison ivy, western poison oak, and poison sumac have the poisonous sap (urushiol) in their roots, stems, leaves and fruit. The sap is released when the plant is bruised, making it easier to contract Rhus-dermatitis in the spring and early summer when leaves are tender. The sap may be deposited on the skin by direct contact with the plant or by contact with contaminated objects, such as shoes, clothing, tools and animals. Severe cases have occurred from sap-coated soot in the smoke of burning plants. Because urushiol is inside the plant, brushing against an intact plant will not cause a reaction. But undamaged plants are rare because "Poison oak, ivy and sumac are very fragile plants," says William L. Epstein, M.D., professor of dermatology, University of California, San Francisco. Stems or leaves broken by the wind or animals, and even the tiny holes made by chewing insects, can release urushiol

I am just getting rid of my poison ivy as we speak, but I put my stand near poison ivy so it may not be over
Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had poison oak over 1/3 of my body in early June. SUCKED!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get poison ivy so bad I was nervous even opening up this thread..........[:-][]

I am usually looking for Poison Ivy so hard when I walk in the brush I wouldn't notice a rattlesnake coiled up next to it.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Pour a gallon of bleach on it . Wait a week go back with garbage bag turn it insideout with youre hand on inside so you dont have to touch it pull it out from the roots turn bag inside out again still not touching the ivy seal it up and gone forever!

Quick Reply: Poison Ivy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.