Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling all previous target panic sufferers...

Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Calling all previous target panic sufferers...

I'm using a wrist strap release. I have a "back tension" release but I'm sticking with the trigger, for hunting purposes.

Drink two beers, wait thirty minutes....then shoot. Call me in the morning.
Being upset and all over this whole situation....two beers wasn't enough.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to have TP, not horribly but i did have it. I started teaching myself to shoot a trigger release using my back muscles vs. punching the trigger. I have been doing this for about a year and it seemed to help out alot, although once in awhile old habits creep in. Buy Bernie Pellerites book called Idiot Proof Archery. I just bought it a week ago and it has some great chapters in it on how to work through and prevent target panic. I highly recommend this book to anyone that really wants to step up there shooting game. I am not yet finished with the book but so far i have found it contains lots of great info on proper form, the idea behind back tension, aiming techniques etc. Good luck bud, hope this helps.

Shane
Old 09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beating target panic while using an index finger triggered release is not an easy thing to do.For me I went pure back tension for two years and now use a pinky triggered release.
I beleive the primary elements in beating it are to be relaxed and not to care so much.Focus on repetition or sequence of form and if you break any of that sequence let down.The best target archers let down almost 1 out of every 3 shots.To be relaxed when making the decision to complete the shot sequence or not will set you free! Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think everyone here has had target panic at one time in their shooting career, I know I have. I broke it by building my confidence level and learning how to "trust my float". I wish i could remember who said that....
Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

i tried a couple of different releases and that seemed to help me alot. I finally found one that I like and shoot well with.

Another thing I try to do is if I start to goof up, I try to let down and start over. I battled it pretty good there for a while but now I just have a bad shot here and there.

rick
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had it real bad a number of years ago. It got to the point where I had tried everything from blank bailing, to shooting in front of a bag with my eyes closed, to pure backtesion (which resulted in some fat lips), and drawing aiming and letting down without shooting. What eventually solved it was I put the bow down for a while and stopped shooting. When I started back up I was more in a rhythm again and not letting my brain get in the way. It still took a while to shoot right again, but it worked.

I was having the same problem as you where I was tripping the release when I didn't want to.

Good luck with it. Hopefully you will get through it easier than I did.