Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots... a necessity?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rubber boots... a necessity?

I dont use rubber boots, but Ive thought about getting some this year.... How important do you consider your rubber boots for hunting....

Im not thinking scent as much as I am Dry feet... Ive wore the same boots for about 4-5 years now and they deffianatley leak... but theyre still going strong...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rubber boots... a necessity?

I'mnot rubber boot wearer myself, but there are plenty of standard hunting boots that will keep your feet dry for many years. With a little research you can pick up a quality pair of boots without breaking the bank.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, they are a necessity. Since I got mine two years ago, have not had a deer spook in my tracks. It used to happen all the time. But, I keep my rubbers for ONLY hunting, never do they go anywhere else. I transport them in a garbage bag to avoid any scent getting on the soles. With the rubbers, I never have to worry about water, even if it is just dewy grass. The new ones are so much better, comfort wise, than they used to be, so i think you would happy with the fit too. Plenty of good options out there, Muck, LaCrosse, Rocky, and others. Gander Mountain brand are made by Rocky, and I think the Cabelas ones are made by Danner.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

They truly are waterproof, and keep my feet warm. I also believe they REALLY help with the scent control.
Sometimes I even go as far as wearing my waders, depending on the temperature, and what farm I'm hunting.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. The will smell you regardless of what boots you are wearing. Just borrow a bloodhound from a buddy and test yourself if you don't believe me.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

No. The will smell you regardless of what boots you are wearing. Just borrow a bloodhound from a buddy and test yourself if you don't believe me.
There's NO way to eliminate ALL of your scent. The little things, like what boots you wear, can help with that. IMO
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

If a boot leaks it's time for a new pair. Wet feet are your enemy in cold weather. I wear Muck Boots. Their along the same lines as rubber boots but they haveneoprene above the ankles and are 100% waterproof. I enjoy not having to jump across creeks or worry about wet spots in the fields or mud in the woods. And I never have to worry about untying frozen or wet boot laces w/ cold fingers.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

If it weren't for the scent "control" (not elimination) properties of my rubber boots.....I wouldn't wear them.

That being said.....I wear them, religiously....whether scouting, checking cams, hunting, etc...

I can smell my old baseball glove from a few feet away. I can't smell my rubber boots from that distance. I'm sure a whitetail's olfactory senses are a lot keener than mine.

"Part" of a regimen. Just a part.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

My best "honey hole" is only 14 acres and circumstances dictate that i enter this property where it is likely Deer coming in will cross where i did. I always wear Rubber boots and have deer come in all the time right where i came in without spooking. Perhaps some have smelled where i passed, but clearly, alot do not. They're are worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If it weren't for the scent "control" (not elimination) properties of my rubber boots.....I wouldn't wear them.

That being said.....I wear them, religiously....whether scouting, checking cams, hunting, etc...

"Part" of a regimen. Just a part.

This is exactly why I wear mine, I will also add that they are 100% water proof and I think they are quieter on the ground getting into and out ofmy hunting spots b/c the soles are softer than a regular (leather) hunting boot. I have been wearing them for many years and have seen deer cross the path I walked in on and not spook, maybe not 100% of the time but I feel it definitely up's my odds.

Quick Reply: Rubber boots... a necessity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.