Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots... a necessity?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rubber boots... a necessity?

At best rubber boots reduce the scent trail you leave, they aren't a necessity but they don't hurt anything.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nessessity?... No. Good idea?... Usually. Whatever you can do to cut down on the amount of scent you leave, the better.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 AM

The more I wear them, the less I like them. Even the uninsulated ones make my feet sweat in any weather. sweat in hot weather=miserable. sweat in cold weather = colder/miserable. I still wear em almost exclusively, but I plan on picking up a good pair of breathable uninsulated walking type boots this year and just spraying down better before I head in. Im not a scent freak by any means, but I try not to leave excessive amounts of scent behind.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear rubber boots and I spray coon pee on the bottom of them. A deer has great ability to smell and the strong scent of coon pee helps to keep him off my trail. I learned this trick from an old hunter and it's probably one of the most important tips I have ever received.

Actually, he may even think it is safe to walk where the coons have been going?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:15 AM

I am pretty anal about my scent control. Therefore, it is a necessity. Most non rubber boots release a ton of human body, specifically because they are made to breath for the feet (they breath air). I have taken deer without them, but for me they are important.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Spike

Like chuck7 said....If you are in Fl, snake boots are a must!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I never go without them. I always keep them in a plastic tub to be scent free. I havent had a deer cross my tracks and spook since I got them.

rick

Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wear scent lok whitetail extreme hunting boots. I haven't had trouble with them even walking in water. I do spray them down though just for that extra cover-up.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't you guys know that you can't kill deer with a bow without rubber boots on???? Sheesh!

Seriously, they are like anything else they are helpful, but only as good as you are. If you have smelly feet and don't use baking soda and/or spray inside and out you are just puffing the scent out the top with each step. Rubber boots will help hold scent in, but as the others said they don't eliminate it.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If Im Deer Hunting I have my rubber boots on. I've used them for years. I have a pair for early fall and a pair for winter. I do spray them with descent or a cover scent. I would have to say they work pretty good as a scent controll. When I am using a drag line I have had many Deer nose to ground come right in on my tracks so they must not smell human scent.

Quick Reply: Rubber boots... a necessity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.