Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone else still use and old bow?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default Does anyone else still use and old bow?

I read all these threads about the new bows everyone has or just bought and i was wondering if there was anyone else out there that still use's an old bow.I got my first bow in 1991 a Fred bear Balck bear.i have upgraded it a bit and keep changing the string and i have taken very good care of it.does anyone else still use and old bow and not just as a backup bow.Maybe some day i will break down and buy a new one but not yet!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Does anyone else still use and old bow?

My father still shoots a Golden Eagle Falcon. It is a sweeeeeeet shooting bow to this day. The only downside is that it's worth more now than when he bought it
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Ha, funny you brought this up. Myuncle shoots an old Jennings (got it new in 1981 I think), which shoots 200-225 fps and is as loud as a 12 guage. He huntsthe same12 ft ladder stand on the same tree no further than 5 yards from the same trailwearing the same camo, drinks coffee with absolutely no scent controlother than rubber boots, and he consistently kills deer.

My younger cousins and I all shoot BowTech and Mathews bows, use Summit climbers at heights of 20 - 25 ft, bathe in scent killer, spendweeks and weeksscouting, and we neverdo significantly better than him.

The difference is his time andexperience in the woods and his intimate understanding ofpatterns and nature as a whole.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 AM

I have an old early 80s Golden Eagle completely wooden compound bow with the smallest cams you will ever lay eyes on. I shot it for quite a few years but could not get the speed out of it to really do any damage. I still have it and use it for Carp fishing. But like most things bows do gain technology improvements that make them more fun to shoot and more effective for the sport. Like Crowkilla mentioned there are guys that out hunt the average guy with no technological help what-so-ever. But I've never heard anyone say, "jeeezz I really wish I could go back to that old Sonic". I'm going to stick with my Mathews LX (even though it's old by today's standards) and enjoy the smooth draw, quite shooting and speedy cam.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Spike

I still use a Bear compound that I bought from Gander Mountain mail order catalog in 1994..
Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have my old PSE Carroll Intruder. I still take it out every year. Took it in '05 for a few days and shot my 2nd biggest buck to date with it. Still has the Mongoose set up with the 2 foot overdraw, LOL!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I'm still using my old PSE Baby-G Force. It wings arrows at a "sizzling" 255 fps, but it puts the arrow where i want itand the Deer don't even realize my arrow is not going 300 fps.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I am still shooting my first bow, aPSE Diamondback which I think is just a rebranded older model Thunderbold.. I bought it new in 2002.. As much as I'd love to upgrade there really isn't anything wrong with it and it has killed. We have a young familly so I'll be hanging onto it well passed 2012, unless of course there's an infusion of household cash..
Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

4 years ago while visiting a cancer patient I was given an old Dartin Trailblazer...probably 25 years old..

Great right..then I started buying accesories..

Site...100.00
6 Steel Force broadheads .60.00
Quiver 15.00
Stabalizer..20.00
rest../ string loop / peep site20.00
20 carbon arrows.180.00
target points 5.00
Target..30.00
Quick release two..20.00 each
6 Muzzy broadheads...25.00
About 500.00....and that is after I bent 12 aluminum arrows at 80.00..I quickly converted to carbons
ARCHERY IS EXPENSIVE

HOWEVER; I love it..and do plan to update after I visit my archery store..probalby after the season is over. I'm lookng to spend about 4-500 on a bow. maybe more if it's a dream..I'd likea Matthews.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until last year, I was using a nearly 20 year old Proline Force II. I broke down after the season last year and bought a Bear Instinct. I still love my Proline, but what a difference shooting a new bow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.