Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big woods bed to feed

Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 AM

Default RE: Big woods bed to feed

Also, whenbedding, they'll generally layon the side of a ridge where they can see and hear down the ridge and smell what is out of sight behind them. With a west wind, they usually bed on the east side looking downhill. And vice versa. I learned this after years of still hunting and accidently jumping bucks and saying to myself, "WTF?" Then finally, "Ahhhhhhhh!"

Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big woods bed to feed

Jeff...thank you very much for the information, I will pm him.

Dan.."VS, how "big" of woods are we talking here?"

I hunt a military base with thousandsupon thousands of acres.......most of the areas I hunt are 500-1000 acre sections of the base, that obviously spill over into tens of thousands of more acres.....heavy terrain features and almost no flat ground on the spots I hunt, other than ridges.

And to all of you who responded, THANK you. I believe I have always been good at finding "edges" in the woods. That has what has helped me continue to kill deer year after year even without anyone teaching me stuff. That being said, sometimes I have a difficult time tying everything together, edges/terrain/time of year....but I am learning.

Wehad an absolutely massive acorn drop in Northern VA last year, the most I have seen in the 15 years I have been hunting...I saw less deer last year as well. So I am little concerned and worried that last year will repeat itself.....DAN....I have no crop fields to hunt. Generally we have some thick pines that the deer bed in, on top of hills so that they can look out to survey and scent check behind them for threats. It can be difficult sneaking in and settig up tight enough to get acrack at them before sundown. Many times I am watching the seconds tick off my watch as it comes down to the last minute before sundown before I draw my bow. I am just rambling now but I knew some of you guys hunt similar scenarios as myself and I really appreciate you guys taking the time helping me out.