Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling in PA Bucks

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Default Rattling in PA Bucks

Thinkin about rattling this year, but i don't know if its worth my time or not. Has anyone ever rattled in a big buck in the state of PA, and if so was it in a cornfield or a more residential area?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rattling in PA Bucks

Just like unpressured bass and lures. Bass that do not see alot of fishing lures tend to strike harder and more aggressively. I imagine rattling in bucks is about the same. I do not speak from alot of experience as I just started rattling last year and called in only one buck as a result. But I believe in the area I hunt, because the deer see alot of humans, that they are not as receptive to rattling as bucks in places that are not as pressured.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've not had much luck rattling, then again I don't try it very often.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I have been considering buying on of those "rattle bags" this year, so I am interested in this topic also. They are only like $10, but if it's not going to do me any good, that's $10 in my pocket.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been rattling in PA for over 15 years. I've had varied success from deer coming running in to deer going running the other way. I've never had a big buck come crashing in like you see in the videos. I've also watched bucks fighting out in a field with other bucks around not paying them much attention.

I feel that with the right buck at the right time it could work, but I rely more on grunting and doe bleating than rattling and have had more success with them over rattling.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

How does one rattle in a Rob Buck?

Rattling is all about timing in states like PA, NY and MI.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Germ

As well as IA, IL, WI, OH, KS, MO, IN, ND, SD, MNand all of Canada.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: _Dan

True, but more so in states with fewer bigger bucks.

If you're the only big guy on the block, why do you care if the little guys are fighting?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Half of the bucks killedwhere I hunt in Alberta are taken via rattling. This is largely because the buck to doe ratio is very close, and there is serious competition for receptive does.This is the reason I don't think rattling in Pa is worth while. Skewed b/d ratioes.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Success in Rattle all depends on your area and the buck to doe ratio. In my area, I typically see more bucks than doe. I usually see numerous bucks with busted racks so I know they are fighting. Last year alone, I rattled in an 110" 8 point and then 2 other bucks 2 days later. These 2 fought 2 different times around me before I shot one of them.

One thing I have had success with is light rattling and more just clicking the tines together as opposed to the all out brawls you see on the tv shows.

Quick Reply: Rattling in PA Bucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.