Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling in PA Bucks

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Rattling in PA Bucks

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Germ

Rattling is all about timing in states like PA, NY and MI.
As well as IA, IL, WI, OH, KS, MO, IN, ND, SD, MNand all of Canada.
True, but more so in states with fewer bigger bucks.

If you're the only big guy on the block, why do you care if the little guys are fighting?
Very true bud. I was saying that because some people think you can walk into the woods in some states and just start rattling anytime. Things have to be perfect for it to work, even in areas with lots of mature bucks and a good buck to doe ratio.

I have had years where rattling has worked very well and others where no matter how many times I bang the antlers together, nothing comes. This is all in an area with lots of mature bucks and very close buck to doe ratio. It depends a lot on the mood of the deer that hears it, weather and timing of the rut.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I rattle only as the very last resort and even then I start very light. I've seen more bucks leave than come to rattling in PA and I'd lay money, so will you.

I rely on the grunt call and contact call first IF I know the buck isn't going to pass within range. I've called in countless bucks with grunts and contacts but only a handful of bucks with rattling. I did however rattle in an 11pt that wasn't coming otherwise and arrowed him. Other than he, a 2.5 year old, only smaller bucks came. Even in the heat of the rut a huge buck turned and ran one year.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I've been rattling in PA for over 15 years. I've had varied success from deer coming running in to deer going running the other way. I've never had a big buck come crashing in like you see in the videos. I've also watched bucks fighting out in a field with other bucks around not paying them much attention.

I feel that with the right buck at the right time it could work, but I rely more on grunting and doe bleating than rattling and have had more success with them over rattling.
I feel the same way. Bry. I think that it is something to have along but, if given the choice, the grunt wins hands down.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Realize, I agree that rattling has to be done in the right area.....I was just making a point earlier with Germ.

One mistake I thing guys make when rattling is not having other sounds go along with it. How often do bucks fight and not make any noise but their antlers hitting? Never. Break some branches, rake the tree you're in....something. I am contemplating a way to make more noise when rattling. Some way to make more noise on the ground.

Here's something that I will never forget. It had nothing to do with rattling, but it relates to it. One year up here, during the rut, 4 of us were walking about 2.5 miles from the quads to pack a deer out that one of our guys shot. We walked to a thick patch and make quite a bit of noise. When we go through the other side, this buck comes running around the corner and lays on the brakes at about 30 yards when he saw us. He wasn't a giant, about a 135" with a drop on his right beam. Why did he come running? He heard all the commotion and thought we were deer.

One more story quick to relate to this. My buddy Johnny was hunting up here last year. His dad took him to an area that we hadn't hunted for quite a few years. My brother had put a ladder stand up there 12 years ago and it hadn't been brushed since. He sat in the stand for about 5 minutes and decided there was no way for him to shoot, so he got down and started breaking brush to make a couple shooting lanes. After about 5-8 minutes of this he climbs back into the stand, thinking his hunt is messed up for at least a few hours. He hears something to his right and there's this buck standing there checking the scene out. This was a big mature buck with some trash on his rack. The buck stood there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Johnny couldn't get turned for a shot and the buck decided something wasn't right and left.

I guess I'm telling these stories to help people realize that it takes more than just banging some antlers together sometimes.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have tried rattling in Pa. with very limited success, in 8 yrs. i have only called in a small 5 pt.

Shane