Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

I've been curious about this topic for a little while now. It seems every other day we have someone on here complaining in one way shape or form about a hunting show or host. Some of the feelings towards these shows and hosts seem to be pretty darn bitter and negative.
It really does seem some of them touch a nerve with the viewers, yet these shows still find their way onto the air and also find SPONSORS.

What I want to know is, of these shows you simply cannot stand, or the hosts you want to throw the remote control at do you also notice who sponsors them? Do you look at the sponsors the same way you look at the disliked show/host and does it affect you and your purchasing decisions, or your view of the product in general?

I don't want a big hangin' party here for any specific shows, hosts or names.....please refrain.
I am just curious about how these personalities and shows might affect your wallet and the gear you will use.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

FIRST thing I did the other day....when I took offense to one of the shows insulting my intelligence is.....look up their website. They didn't list the show's sponsors (Couldn't find the actual show's website)......so I sent a seeting message to the outdoor channel telling them WHY I thought the show was a joke.

When I find out who's sponsoring the show.....I'll write them, too. It was extremely ridiculous what they tried to pass off.....and though I've never gone to such lengths.....I will in this instance.

I voted that dislike of a show/host will make me look at a product negatively. To me marketing is more than making a product look cool on TV, as a company they should be putting their products into the hands of people who are likely to buy it, not some TV personality. So that's one reason, the other is just because if the company is dumb enough to put their product into the hands of an absolute idiot - I don't want any part of it.
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I'd say yes, if I associate a product with a show I don't like I am less likely to buy it.

But I will say that the shows I do like seem to influence my buying more. For me the positive influencecarries more weight than the negative vibes.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Honestly, I'd say yes, if I associate a product with a show I don't like I am less likely to buy it.

But I will say that the shows I do like seem to influence my buying more. For me the positive influencecarries more weight than the negative vibes.
That's VERY interesting! I would have bet that it would have been the other way around........negative feelings would have more influence onNOT buying than positive ones do on actually spending money on those products.
Thanks for the insight!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Good poll. My response is this. I do not know if I can solely blame a sponsor for choosing which shows to support just based on the fact that all of these manufacturers want to reach as many demogrqphics as possible regardless of what "I" think of them. they areall out to sell product to whom ever will listen, watch, then buy. JM2C.
BUTI DO CRINGE DEEP DOWN INSIDE WHENI SEE SOMONE PIMPING SOMETHINGI TRULY BELEIVE IN KNOWING THAT THAT PARTICULAR tv CELEB MIGHT AS WELL BE NAMED "STANLEY" BECUASE IN MY MIND HE MAY BE A TOOL TOO STRONG[8D]
I tend to lean toward the theory thought that if someone does not like the person presenting the product, know matter how good, bad, or indifferent, they may tend to stray from purchasing that particular product. I am using the regular JOhn Q Public as a standard.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I dislike a show it won't influence what I buy. I'm sure sponsors carry more than 1 personality to promote their products. And if they don't sell then there are plenty of other people willing to give it a shot. And besides, peoples views of these personalites differ from person to person. So how can you find a perfect host? I'll check to see what they are trying to sell and if I need it or want it then I'll buy it. No matter who the personalities are.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mmmm. I guess... I really dont have a show I "hate" but, when i was younger watching hunting shows every Sunday morning on TNN(Now Spike) The Realtree shows entertained me, I looked foward to them, thus being a huge fan of realtree products over anything else such as MO, etc...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM

I think it influences everyone to some degree, whether they admit to it or not....granted they watch the shows. I havent watched those channels in a few months now though. I dont follow but a few shows, now none. I watch HBTV online, which is the direction all shows are headed IMO, and other than that just cruise a few forums. I rely on real world trials and word of mouth for products, not the catchy action filled commercials on the Outdoor Channel.

I do miss Fred Eichler's show though, for some reason. That was my favorite show on TV, for whatever reasons.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy watching most outdoor shows when I'm not actually in the outdoors, I don't watch much tv to start with.. But they don't really influence me all that much. I have my own opinions and use whatI like.. It might make me a bit more satisfied with my purchase if I see someone else having good luck with something I use but if they have bad luck with it and I'm liking it I don't stop liking the item just cuz they don't like it.. ( does that even make sense, lol ) I don't always agree with all the shows but they are forms of entertainment so you don't have to agree with it all..
I have some good friends who are actually part of one of these shows that many of you probably know. ( no names dont ask ) What they use on the show is not what they really prefer in real life.. But the stuff isdiscounted or even givento them and they have to talk it up for the camera so they do it. Most of us may do the same thing..

Quick Reply: Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.