Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

If I dont like the show, I wont watch it, therefore sponsors dollars go to waste.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

FIRST thing I did the other day....when I took offense to one of the shows insulting my intelligence is.....look up their website. They didn't list the show's sponsors (Couldn't find the actual show's website)......so I sent a seeting message to the outdoor channel telling them WHY I thought the show was a joke.

When I find out who's sponsoring the show.....I'll write them, too. It was extremely ridiculous what they tried to pass off.....and though I've never gone to such lengths.....I will in this instance.
GMMAT, trust me when I tell you, the OC don't give a rat's butt what viewer's think of the shows, but only carethat the show's pay their airtime bill.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 AM

This poll is very interesting to me, both as a viewer and as a producer. Bad shows abound these days, and I see from the other side how these bad shows BS sponsors and potential sponsors, and I also see how some sponsors choose to not see the shows for what they are. I most certainly do let bad shows influence my decision to not buy or use some products, probably way more than most folks. Some will find it hard to believe, but I promise you this is true, but we actually resigned from two sponsoring companies last year mostly based on those company's decisions on other shows they would be sponsoring that we felt were just not worth being connected to via sponsoring companies.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Morrell targets will not get my business because of

jimmy houston
jackie bushman
hank parker the 3 stodges
Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't believe so many of you guys actually sit down and watch hunting shows. Personally, I'd rather sit on the back deck and watch the grass grow. LOL

Now, let me preface this by saying I could (and have) waste all day on youtube, watching the DIY'selfers homejob videos of various stuff. . . practically anything outdoors-related will get my attention and appreciation. But as for the commercial-grade deer shows, no thanks. There's a very distinct difference between the production of someone who genuinely just wants to share what they're seeing, versus someone who genuinely wants to get their bills paid. I can respect both approaches, but there's no comparison, as far as my subjective level of appreciation goes...

I dunno, but watching what goes on in a $500/day deerstand or on somebody's deer-hording ranch that no average schmuck will never be privileged-enoughtoenjoy . . . just doesn't do a lick for me, as far as giving me anything that I can relate to. On any level.

There's simply no utility for me in that kind of stuff. I even try to watch it, just to get my hunting fix. But it just does absolutelynothing for me. I can usually make it to the first commercial break before I'm scrolling through the online guide, seeing what'shap'nin over on the Discovery Channel, or putting my boots on and heading out the door.

As far as the advertisers go - I always just try to stay away from any company that spends a load of money on advertising/product placement. A big ad or staff budgetjust means that the consumer is getting raked for the entire cost of said advertising. Don't get me wrong, I like Michael Waddell, but not enough that I want to race out and pay for his Bad Boy Buggy or new wardrobe of Realtree Roadtrips camo.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always heard people refer to the old addage concerning customer service:

"Treat a person good and he'll tell another person, treat a person bad and he'll tell 10"
(or something like that )

I thought maybe that same mentality mighttranslate to negative feelings toward a specific show or host and the products moreso than positive feeling influence based upon that mindset.
It appears that more than 1/2 the people so far can simply tune out whatever the person they don't like is using and simply see the person or show for what it is regardless of products used.

However almost 25% so far saying that the negative feelings carry over to the products, or even worse 14% will flat out NOT buy something because of those feeling should still at least be alarming to a company's marketing department ........if and when they receive negative feedback of a particular person or show they sponsor.
It is obvious that perception of the people representing the product does have very real negative sales impact.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

if I want something I buy it! I don't let anyone influence my spending!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seldom watch outdoor programming these days unless it's a local show. I get more out of them.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Bartender

I do enjoy Greg Miller's new show In-Pursuit. I really enjoy the zooming segment.
Plus he is a good ol Wisconsin boy.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't watch many outdoor shows. (I haven't even seen the Campbell's show that I'm in. [&o])

If I don't like the show I'm watching, I usually change the channel. ('cept for the Tred Barta show which I watched with a horrified fascination.)

The only sponsor that that bugs me is PSE on Bow Madness. Particularly the insinuation that they never could have made such and such ashot without their new PSE bow.Too heavy handed. It makes me want to go shoot a PSE, with my bowtech, or beretta or runone over with my truck.. but not shell out cash for one. [>:]

Quick Reply: Hunting Shows you don't like.....does it influence you???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.