Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The story behind the deer

Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 PM

Default The story behind the deer

i recently posted a pic of the nice 8 pointer i took about 5 years ago, and had some great responses, but all of them said the same thing; wheres the story? well here ya go fellow hunters:

it was about 5 years ago, and it was early november. i had just got into some prime land, in adams wisconsin, and scouted it hard and had seen alot of nice bucks, but when i seen that eight pointer, he was the one i wanted. i set in tress for hours watching him, and recording where and what he did. i knew that buck, i thought. ihad to waitto hunt him for awhile due to having some medical problems, but iwhen i had the okay to hunt,i couldnt wait for the weekend.but come the following weekend, it all went sour.
i arrived at the spot way before daylight, i had a nice spot picked out overlooking about a 30 yd by 20 yd point that was just beyond a little creek. trails were all over and the tree my stand was in, was the trails cut off point to the creek crossing, it was nice. it was a little bit of a walk, about 25 min, but it was worth it.
as i got to the stand however, i noticed that someone had slipped in, and was in my stand!
knowing that no one else was supposed to be there, i confronted the man. there was a bit of a yelling match for he wasnt going to leave until i threatened the warden. so way into the morning now, the woods were pretty tainted with noise and all the comotion of the earlier arguing, so very mad and upset, i decided to just let things calm down.
that evening i decided to move my stand around a bit to the other side of the creek, to be able to cover the thicket, and went home.
the next day the weather was terrible! it was very windy and spitting snow, wet snow. it was just a nasty day. but i was going out no matter what. i got to the stand a little before daybreak, and settled in. it was a cold sit, with the wind. i watched some does in the distance for awhile, until about 8:30 or so. then way back off, on the hill, there was all kinds of rukus, sounded like a tree or two fell!
the next thing i know, the does jerked around and started dancing almost, back and forth, then just stared off in the west. i tried to see what it was, and then there they were!
two big brutes were crashing thier way through the thicket, i could see them plain as day from up in the tree.
the one was a small racked big bodied 6-pointer and the other, a beautiful 8-pointer.
it was picture perfect, the sixer trotted right through, quick. the 8 layed back in the thicket before getting to the open.
he sat still for what seemed for hours, i couldnt move. he was about 15-18 yards away, and then he gave me my chance. he put his head down, and turned slighty behind him, sniffing the ground. i grabbed my bow, and got set, drew back and waited.
as i waited for the buck to come out, the other sixer started coming back in, and that was all it took for the big boy to come out.
he stepped out, and was on a mission! i gave a whistle, he halted to a stop, and looked right at me! i thought i was done! but he swung his head back and lokked at the other buck, i set my pin right on his pumper, and BANG!
i watched the arrow hit the dirt behind him, and blood just pouring out, he swung around and dropped!
the other deer just stood there, in wonder, then trotted off.
i was so happy, i was screaming.... i probably woke the dead i was so excited! it was a great hunt, something i live for everyday.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The story behind the deer

great story man it way to go.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice! congrats!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good story adds alot more to the picture!! Thanks!!