Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

I was reading an article in the latest issue of Bowhunting, when I stumbled across and "odd" article. Basically the author makes mention on how putting yourself above the "normal" heights in a tree (15-20ft) will allow you to increase your chances on big mature whitetail sitings. The argument was that by putting yourself 25-30ft up, your scent disperses more effectively, and you're out of the typical height most deer (when educated) will scan in the trees. The article doesn't present this as the end all be all strategy, but he does emphasize that it has great importance, and has drastically improved his sightings.

I find this to be odd, as I never have really heard the height of your stand stressed as much as picking a proper tree with ample cover while maintaining selective shooting lanes, so let's here it. How important is height to you? Would you be willing to go 30-35ft up? How far until you feel you're at to extreme angles for a proper shot? (the article made mention of simply setting your stand 20 or so yds back off the expected route deer will travel to counter the severe angles).
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

I wouldn't be comfortable enough to even be in the tree at 30-35ft.
I start to hit a wall of comfort somewhere around 22-24ft for some reason (I know because I have a marked 30ft hoist rope.) I do get better as the season progresses and I climb trees day after day again.
Onemorning in Illinois I started climbing in the dark and when I hit the end of my 20ft hoist rope I locked it off amongst some good back cover and settled in waiting for first light.........when it got light enough to see that's when I relaized I own a 30ft hoist rope.[:-][]

Still I have no need or want to hunt that high even if it means an advantage.

I have heard a few times about guys using that strategy to hunt certain spots where deer can approach from the downwind side. They'll get way up in a tree very tight to the trail hoping their scent goes out way over the deer. Lone wolf's previous owner/founder Andre Dequisto (sp?) mentioned that in a video one time. Can't really argue with HIS success either.

Could be an effective strategy but I lack the spine for it.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a perfect world, I like to be 25 feet up with ample cover. I have and will go higher to get it or just plain get higher. I hunted out of a buddies 15 foot ladder stand ONCE last year. I felt naked. I don't mind going higher for all of the reasons stated (I read the article) Like they more or less said, you can't set up on top of the trail when you are going to those higher spots.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm with Matt.....lol.

My haul line is 25'....and when climbing I usually go 'til it starts to drag my bow. So I know I'm hunting around a 23' platform. PLENTY high, for me. When I hunt trad this year.....it'll be from about 12-14'.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

20-25 feet would be ok..most of my stands are more than 20 that is for sure. I know a few hunters that take really good bucks every year and one in particular hunts out of 15ft ladder stands..

I am sure being higher up will help some issues, but here in PA, the under growth would be more of a challenge than being spotted.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't even need to be in a tree. The cover is more important than the height. Ya you get some scent drift from higher up but there are winds call downdrafts. so you can be 50' up and it wouldn't help. Scent control and watching the wind can help you out more.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM

If you only hunt your stand when the wind is perfect you don't have to be that high.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted more than 20-22ft up. This year, since I went to climbing sticks and hang-ons, I'm only at about 17', but I was able to set myself in some good cover, which I feel is more important. I was just curious as to what others felt about it.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

about mid season when ive climbed about 30 times or so if i go to one of my ladder stands i feel like im naked. especially if the cover isnt too great. depending on the shooting lanes i will go 35' but its all about confidence, safety, and being comfortable to me. getting high is better i guess, but not when you cant shoot out. it makes the angles extreme and its harder to keep form when shooting. i actually missed a 160 class buck 3 years ago b/c my bottom limb hit my stand cuz the angle i had to shoot at him at. he was almost directly under me (good) but he smelled me (bad) and i knew i had to take the shot cuz he was about to jet. im thankful that i didnt hit him and wound him though. i probably would have had him if not for the angle but then again, would he ever have gotten that close?
Derek
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another factor that has not been mentioned is tree foliage or time-of-year.

A 12 foot ladder stand with some background limbs/leaves will be fine in Sept (or before the leaves drop). The same stand in December with nothing but a few bare twigs for cover/concealment will not work.

One of my best stands is only 18' from the ground but it is perfectly blended into a Magnolia tree - which keeps its leaves year round. Cedar trees are great too.

Quick Reply: Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.