Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

I have seena few differentbig bucks that were only about 5 yds away fromthe tree i had my climber in.I got to about 17 - 20 ft and no higher, andnone of the bucks everbusted me (unfortunately i was just waking up and never got a shot off at the big 8 pointer).Height matters to an extent though.Once you get about 17 ft in the air, your scent deffidentaly is not as strong and you can move around a little more without getting busted. I think25+ ft is kind of outrageous and people are just asking to get rocked out of the standby a hard wind, or a sick stomach.
Good luck to you!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My stands are 15 to 20. Thats all I want to go but if that article is "correct" then I guess I need to figure how to get my ground blind up that high.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Height for where I hunt is important. The deer are skiddish and minus a horny buck, are very hard to take if you are not up more than 18 plus feet...if you can get higher, you can gain even more of an advantage.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I know a guy that almost has to hunt 30 ft because he constantly gets busted moving around. Myself, I almost always hunt between 18-23 ft.I have hunted 30 ft before but most of the time it is not needed and actually harmfull I think.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I hate heights..14 is my height..
Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

there are alot of 15 foot ladder stands out there that people are using very succesfully. I personnely like to be between 20 and 25 feet up. I also have the perfect tree that is only about 12 feet up, but it offers me the best concealment I could ever ask for. I will be guiding my lady out this year and she will no way clime up a tree like I do, so I am going to have to be considerate of her ability, rather than a perfered hight.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

im scared of heights... you get me on a roof im holdin on for deer life... you get me in my summit 30 feet up it doesnt bother me one bit.. i feel really safe in it.. now a 30 feet in a lock on.. FORGET IT....jus something bout my climber that im not scared ..
Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read that very article, it was quite odd, but the points were made and made well. On the other hand it wasnt too long ago, maybe a year or two there was another article contradicting this article telling how higher isnt always better and that a height of 9-12 feet will get the job done just as well as 15-20 feet.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

i dont really buy all that. The highest I have ever been is probly 18 ft. and typically less than that. I think stand placement is most important. I strive to pick the very best location

rick

Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I read that very article, it was quite odd, but the points were made and made well. On the other hand it wasnt too long ago, maybe a year or two there was another article contradicting this article telling how higher isnt always better and that a height of 9-12 feet will get the job done just as well as 15-20 feet.
I think I remember reading that article as well. I think it argued that as long as you had some cover and could see over any of the lower vegetation that you don't need to be higher, or something along that lines. I personally only hunt between 15-20ft depending on the tree. I don't see any need to go higher and in my neck of the woods finding a straight enough tree to do so is harder than finding the deer

Quick Reply: Treestand Height...How big of a factor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.