Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep Sight Problem...

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Peep Sight Problem...

The other day i was shooting my bow that is less than a month old but has been shot alot, and the black string above the peep that holds it in place unraveled and my peep is no longer where it should be. Did i do something wrong? i take great care of it.... anyone had this happen before?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Peep Sight Problem...

Yeah, it happens, it just came un-tied.Take it back to the shop and have them tie it back in.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

No you didn't do anything wrong.......just a series of wraps that came undone.

any archery shop should have you back up and shooting in 5 minutes. Provided they can squeeze you in with their workload at this time of the year. NOW is the time when EVERYONE hands them a bow and says "Fix this".
So don't be surprised if they tell you to come back in a day or 2 for a 5 minute fix.

You COULD do it yourself but you'd obviously need the serving thread, bowpress and the knowledge of how to use both.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the help guys
Old 09-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

After you get it re-tied, you can put some clear nail polish on it to keep it from coming un-done again.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Also note that it isn't "imperative" to your bow/peep's performance that it be tied in. It's a precaution against it moving.....but it should be fine without being tied in. Mine isn't tied in, currently. I left it untied so that I could experiment with a few different releases.

Good luck. Good advice, above.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Also note that it isn't "imperative" to your bow/peep's performance that it be tied in. It's a precaution against it moving.....but it should be fine without being tied in. Mine isn't tied in, currently. I left it untied so that I could experiment with a few different releases.

Good luck. Good advice, above.
GMMAT - You should state that "providing the peep sight is anchored in between the string properly".
My story as why I mention this ~ I have a friend that set his own bow up and he isn't qualified in my eyes.

When we shot together for the 1st time with his new bow he had a hard time hitting the target,
meaning the whole target, and not just the 3 inch circle on the target we were aiming for.
So I grabbed the bow and tried it myself. I noticed a weird feeling, so I started grabbing everything I could
to find out if something came loose.
* Low and behold, his peep sight would move up and down a 1/2" in between the strings, just a small detail of how to put a peep sight in properly would have curved our frustrations. I know your thinking dah and so was I!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it just slid up, up/down you can slide it back where it needs to go and tie it back in with dental floss & be done.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT - You should state that "providing the peep sight is anchored in between the string properly".
Absolutely. I just can't imagine a PROPERLY installed peep moving. I've never had that issue....and I've owned several bows, now (with several of them NOT having the peep tied in). When searching for a target release that I liked well enough to employ all the time....I found out that my anchor changed, slightly, from release to release. It was imperative that I be able to adjust the peep when switching back and forth. So....I never tied them in.

Once my string is "trained" and I decide on a release, though, I WILL be tying the peep in.....for peace of mind.

Valid point.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT - I'm glad you didn't take it as busting your chops.

My story was that, I just couldn't believe a guy who is 65, with 50 plus years hunting experience, and quite smart, to overlook his peep sight.
Meaning, he didn't even care about it moving up and down a 1/2". He said "I'll just push it to the bottom, and then sight it in that way, and make sure it's in that position before I shoot".
I almost came unglued, and I told him "not to call me to track wounded deer".
Also, I would apologize in advance for laughing at him when he calls to tell me he completely missed a deer.

The ending of this story is he has tied off his peep sight and now checks it regularly - thank God!

Quick Reply: Peep Sight Problem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.