Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im confused!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Im confused!!!

I may be bad wrong, but I think AK has Sitka Blacktail while WA, OR, and CA have Columbian Blacktail.

I think I read somewhere that blacktail are actually a type of mulies. Kind of like how Brown Bear and Grizzlies are one in the same but just live in different regions. Ill see if I can dig up the article that broke down the different NA Big Game species.

Im only referring to the species recognized by B&C and P&Y too, heck there are many many different strains of each species based on region/location. even whitetails vary slightly.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I may be bad wrong, but I think AK has Sitka Blacktail while WA, OR, and CA have Columbian Blacktail.

I think I read somewhere that blacktail are actually a type of mulies. Kind of like how Brown Bear and Grizzlies are one in the same but just live in different regions. Ill see if I can dig up the article that broke down the different NA Big Game species.

Im only referring to the species recognized by B&C and P&Y too, heck there are many many different strains of each species based on region/location. even whitetails vary slightly.
I stand corrected, apparently mulies came from the cross breeding of a whitetail doe and a blacktail buck..... http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/blkpage.htm

Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

im confused to.. whats the dif bewteen a blacktail an a mule deer.. they look the same?
Believe it's kinda a grey area becuase of inter-species breeding and such... About the only thing a person could do is look at the species boundries for the record books...

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...area=bgRecords
Old 09-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

im confused to.. whats the dif bewteen a blacktail an a mule deer.. they look the same?
I'm with you MdDave...
I certainly have heard of all the species, but when I saw his monster buck I started to think Mulie and didn't know if they had different names and such.

Good post VA
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

TAXONOMY OF THE BLACK-TAILED DEER

The black-tailed, mule, and white-tailed deer constitute a genus called Odocoileus. Based on anatomical similarities, deer belong to the order of Artiodactyl. All artiodactyls share characteristics of being even toed and hoofed with males having antlers or horns. Deer are ruminants, which means they have a four-chambered stomach, chew a cud, and regurgitate food more than once before finally swallowing it. They also have canine teeth and upper incisors that are reduced or missing. Deer are classified in the Phylum Chordate because they have a backbone, Mammilla, because it is warm blooded, has a four-chambered heart, a covering of hair on its body, gives birth to young alive, and has mammary glands with which to nurse young.

Deer belong to the cervidae family which has five general characteristics, only males have antlers, they have no gallbladder, dew claws show, feet are four toe (two dew claws and even toe hooves), a lachrymal depression in front of each eye, and thirty-two teeth. However, there are several other less obvious distinguishing features between the three species of deer such as size, weight, height, coloring, tail, ear length, metatarsal gland, antlers, gait, and behavior.

THE BLACK-TAILED DEER
The Columbian black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus) is also known as; black-tail, coast black-tail, Columbian deer, and Pacific buck. The black-tailed deer is currently considered a subspecies of the mule deer and interbreeds with the Rocky Mountain mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus hemionus) and the California mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus californicus) where their range overlaps.

The black-tailed deer obviously gets its name from its black tail. They are also characterized as the smallest and darkest deer of the three deer species. There are two species of black-tailed deer, the Columbian and the Sitka. The Sitka resembles white-tailed deer and are larger and more reddish than the Columbian black-tailed deer. The Columbia black-tailed deer inhabits the area between Central California to British Columbia and the Sitka inhabits from British Columbia on up.

Black-tailed bucks; total length, 58 inches; 36 inches high at the shoulder; 6 1/2-inch tail; 8-inch ears; and 2-inch metatarsal gland. Doe: total length; 54 inches; 36 inches high at the shoulder; 6 1/2-inch tail; 7 3/4-inch ear; and 2-inch metatarsal gland. The color of the coat changes with the season, from a generally reddish-brown in summer to grayish in winter. Their weight usually varies, although the larger bucks may be over 140 pounds. The natural life span is 9 to 10 years (17 to 20 yrs. in captivity,) although many live far less since they are either hunted or killed by predators. It is believed that where heavily hunted, bucks live for only about 3 to 5 years.

The Sitka black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus sitkensis) is native to the wet coastal rain forests of Southeast Alaska and north-coastal British Columbia. Its range has been expanded by transplants, and established populations now also exist near Yakutat, in Prince William Sound, and on Kodiak and Afognak islands.
General description: The Sitka black-tailed deer is smaller, stockier, and has a shorter face than other members of the black- tailed group. Fawns are born in early June and weigh 6 to 8 pounds (2.7-3.6 kg) at birth. The average October live weight of adults is about 80 pounds (36 kg) for does and 120 pounds (54.5 kg) for bucks, although dressed-weight bucks of over 200 pounds (90.1 kg) have been reported. The summer coat of reddish-brown is replaced by dark brownish gray in winter. Antlers are dark brown with typical black-tailed branching. Normal adult antler development is three points (including the eyeguard) on each side. Antlers are relatively small, with very few scoring more than 110 points by the Boone and Crockett system.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

In OR, WA and CA there are Columbian blacktail deer, which are bigger than the Alaskan sitka blacktail. Mule deer and blacktails cross in Oregon, but only on the top of the cascades. Oregon also has a columbian whitetail which has the rack of a whitetail in which all of you are familiar with, however it's body is small and like the size of a tall dog.