Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Velvets in North Dakota! (More Photos Added)

Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Big Velvets in North Dakota!

Congrats again Mike and Jeff. What a way to start out the season.

I can't wait to see the footage of those guys.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Right then i feel the wind switch and hit me right in the back of the neck. Nevertheless the deer started moving. First just a bunch of does in the distance, and then we had two nice bucks come in. They came in directly down wind from us but didnt catch our wind.
Just curious if you ever considered getting down and moving. I know that has its own set of potential consequences (considering the time of day)....but I did think to ask.

Also....would you have made the same decision (to stay) were you hunting your home woods?

Congrats again on a wonderful, wonderful animal.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Mike! Congrats on an awesome buck! And the velvet makes it that much cooler!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Right then i feel the wind switch and hit me right in the back of the neck. Nevertheless the deer started moving. First just a bunch of does in the distance, and then we had two nice bucks come in. They came in directly down wind from us but didnt catch our wind.
Just curious if you ever considered getting down and moving. I know that has its own set of potential consequences (considering the time of day)....but I did think to ask.

Also....would you have made the same decision (to stay) were you hunting your home woods?

Congrats again on a wonderful, wonderful animal.
I did consider gettin down when the farmer was driving all over the field, but i figured it was too late to slip in anywhere else.

When the wind switched, there was only about an hour of daylight left and not too long after it switched was when those two bucks showed up (the 4X2 and the young 9). The came from down wind walking directly into the wind and never caught our scent. We were actually expecting them to come from behind us, which is where the other bucks camer from and the trail that they were on would be so close to us (bout 10 yards) that our scent would just blow right over the top of them. So to answer your question, no, i never really considered getting down. Also, if i was huning my home woods i proably still would have stuck it out as well rather than getting down at prime time and really spooking things.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awsome deer, congrats to both of you. You guys always get it done no matter what your after or where your chasing them. Awsome job!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Mike I already posted over on the team thread but wanted to say again CONGRATS! That is a great deer.

-john
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome looking deer!! Congrats!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Congrats to you and your buddy.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike first time I have been hni in a few days, been hunting .... Whoa NELLY!, now thats a TOAD.. awesome buck Mike, I knew there wasreason why I put you first on my list of dream teamers.. Stud buck bud, gonna be sweet addition to your collection. Love the Mass and Tine length, just a great buck. Keep up the good work you guys HB. Making my ND trip this Dec looking more inviting all the time! Again congrats.. Magnum Whitetail there bud.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Velvets in North Dakota! (More Photos Added)

Michael,

What an awesome start! Congratulations! A deer in all fifty states, eh? Just do it!

Quick Reply: Big Velvets in North Dakota! (More Photos Added)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.