Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Holding still

Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Holding still

Ok, I am really frustrated,I went out last night and was shooting at my 3D target in my backyard, at 15 yards. (that is all the farther I can shoot) I shot 6 arrows at a time, and I shot probably 6 rounds. Almost all of my arrows were within a 1" -2" circle, and most of them were touching. I went out today at lunch time, and was shooting at my block at work. I set up at 20 yards first, and I was all over the place, so I moved into 15 yards, and I was still all over the place. I have a really hard time holding my bow arm still, it floats all over the place, and I know this is my problem. I have the 7 1/2" Octane stabilizer on my bow.
Question I have, is what can I do to get more steady. I have tried takinig a deep breath and hold it while I shoot, I have tried shooting as I breath in, and as I breath out. Nothing seems to work. What do you all do as you are shooting.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Holding still

Off days happen.

From a guy who has dealt with serious target panic though, comfortale equipment and plenty of practice are invaluale assets.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

Off days happen.
x2 Don't worry about it too much. Just keep practicing and whatever you do, stick with it. Keep everything as consistent as possible. I do the same breathing routine each time I draw and shoot.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

Off days happen.
x2 Don't worry about it too much. Just keep practicing and whatever you do, stick with it. Keep everything as consistent as possible. I do the same breathing routine each time I draw and shoot.
What is your breathing routine. That is what I am trying to settle on, is making sure that I do the same things everytime I shoot.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Your not in shape yet . You may need to take a day off to rest
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you trying to hold your pin steady on your target? If so, this could be the problem. I know many people think that the pin has to be set in concrete and that is just not the case. Try relaxing your grip, concentrate a spot on the target (not your pin), let the pin float on your spot, and concentrate on your release (don't punch the trigger). I hope this helps, I know it can be very frustrating.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto what kickin buck said about floating. I have found that when I do try to hold the pin locked down, I am much more likely to make a small jerk or movement that throws me. Float the pin and release as soon as you begin to steady and have it on your target point. This works for me.

Also, I have found that worrying about groups and how tight they are gave me a headache and made me nervous. So I will still shoot 5-6 arrows at a time earlier in the year and later, after season with fps. But now that I am using broadheads and in "make it count mode," I shoot one, maybe two arrows at a time and focus on if I hit the target point I was aiming for on my 3d or if I was within an inch or two. I'll repeat a dozen times or so in a session because I'm focusing on quality and consistency not quantity at this point. Good luck! You'll figure it out!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

Off days happen.
What is your breathing routine. That is what I am trying to settle on, is making sure that I do the same things everytime I shoot.
I inhale on the draw, as I get the pin settled I start to exhale and slowly squeeze the trigger on my release. I do my best to let the shot surprise me and if I have trouble getting steady I'll take another deep breath, let half out then hold while I squeeze off the shot (just like shooting a rifle). I practice taking both quick shots and holding and taking a shot after holding for a bit. And I also agree - focus more on floating the pin than trying to keep it spot on, I've found this to be how I'm most accurate.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I know it sounds silly, but find your happy place and relax. Don't think about missing or not getting a tight group. Concentrate on the positive.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

Are you trying to hold your pin steady on your target? If so, this could be the problem. I know many people think that the pin has to be set in concrete and that is just not the case. Try relaxing your grip, concentrate a spot on the target (not your pin), let the pin float on your spot, and concentrate on your release (don't punch the trigger). I hope this helps, I know it can be very frustrating.
You know, this is the way I used to aim and it worked well until my eyes got too old to see at the longer ranges (40 yds +). Then my Marine son, who is an expert marksman (242 of 250 for those fellow Marines who want to know), explained to me that I didn't have to be able to focus on the target (or on a spot on the target). He taught me to focus on the pin and center the pin to the target and it has completely changed my groups at any range. Now I get great groups at any range.

Think about it the way he explained! Can you really see the target with iron sights at 500 meters? No, but you can focus on the front sight (pin in the case of bow shooting) and center to the target. Then you can get consistant groupings. Of course, if your punching your release or can't get your bow hand steady, you might have a bad day shooting anyway! I have them too sometimes.

I posted this in hopes this might help some guys who can't see like me at the longer ranges!!! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Holding still

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.