Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me learn something new.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me learn something new.

Inspired from another post.

How long before bucks shed their velvet does the growing process stop? Is it a week? Is it a day? Hours? Just got really curious.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me learn something new.

I heard its about 10 days, but I don't even know if that right....good question.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found this online......

Bucks begin growing their antlers in late-winter or early spring, within weeks of when the previous year's antlers are shed. Antlers grow very slowly at first, but by late-May, antlers are rapidly growing. Antler growth is
usually complete by the end of August. The velvet then hardens and falls off during September. The hardened, polished antlers remain until they are shed during December through April, depending on location and managment practices.

Why Are There Annual Cycles In Antler Growth?
Believe it or not, the 23 degree tilt of the Earth¹s axis is the ultimate cause for the annual cycles in deer antlers. This tilt is what causes Earth's annually recurring seasons. Deer have adapted their physiology and behavior to these seasonal changes, including antler growth.
The environmental cue that regulates antler growth is the amount of day length, or photoperiod.
The physiological cue is the male hormone testosterone. The way this works is complicated, but changing day lengths are sensed by the eyes, which send this message, via the optic nerve, to the pineal gland. The pineal gland - a pea-sized organ at the base of the brain - produces many different hormones. One hormone produced is luteinizing hormone, which controls the amount of testoserone produced in the testes.
The antler cycle lags behind the changes in day length because the hormonal changes take time. During fall, decreasing day lengths cause melatonin production to increase, resulting in decreased production of both
luteinizing hormone and testosterone. Decreasing testosterone levels then cause the antlers to shed.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I've heard they can gro up to 1/2" a day!

I'm also thinking they're done growing before they shed velvet.

Dang, solo......I suppose "gravity" is what makes 'em fall to the ground, too! (jk)
Old 08-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've heard they can gro up to 1/2" a day!

I'm also thinking they're done growing before they shed velvet.

Dang, solo......I suppose "gravity" is what makes 'em fall to the ground, too! (jk)
You just never know GMMAT......I just thought it to be interesting, never knew that, so I posted it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

wow 1/2" a day thats impressive