Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Being...."The Cameraman"

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Being...."The Cameraman"

Ive dabbled with some filming the last couple years. We got my brothers turkey on camera 2 years ago, but it was mounted on a tripod and i wasntcontrolling it.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

I have never experianced it myself, but a buddy of mine was with me when I shot my buck last year. He kept saying he was more excited than I was, and how cool it was to watch someone else take an animal right in front of you.
When I shot my bear, last year, I thought my buddy was going to fall out of the stand and overdose on adrenaline. He was a nut case. I still remember him saying:

"Oh man, you got him, good shot, dead bear, OMG, good shot, you got him"

It was the funniest thing that has ever happened in the woods
Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed 107 deer in my life time and I shake way more when I am behind the camera, It's is as much fun if not more that being the hunter!!! Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!! Walt
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never viedoed anyone but I have some kills on video and I don't doubt what you guys are saying about the camera man being more nervous, because for me at least. I am never calmer in a tree than when someone is there filming me. I don't know why. You would think the opposite would be true and there would be more pressure because of the camera, but I have found it to be exactly the opposite.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM

I enjoy filming just as much as hunting in most cases.

Turkey season, I get just as much pleasure, maybe more, when someone else takes the bird while I am filming. Taking out someone else, calling in the bird yourself while filming the ordeal is a MUCH harder task than simply setting out to kill a turkey for yourself. I do alot of both every spring now, and I honestly cant decide what I like more.

If I ever invite someone to go hunting with me, odds are that means I am filming. Deer season we all split up and hunt on most weekends, but turkey it is a rare occasion the camera isnt following around one of us.

Truly learning the controls of a semi-profesional camera is hard...really hard actually. I am still just getting the hang of my buddies GL2 settings, which he bought 2 summers ago.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on gaining some experience with this camera thing this year. I more than doubled my herd of hang on treestands in efforts to make almost all of my spots cameraman friendly. I think that its gonna be and awfully great season. I can't remember looking forward to a season more.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

In front of or behind it, I love it. I actually do love being behind the camera more when turkey hunting, the camera man job is the hardest to say the least.

For whitetails and bowhunting, I am happiest doing either.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I think that is a really cool thing you're doing. I bet you will get a rush out of it too.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy being the cameraman, it adds a new twist to the hunting routine. This year I got to be the cameraman for the NorthWoodsAdventureTV Show during the SC Bow Opener. It was a really good time and I learned a lot. This year should be a good year for shooting video, nowI just need the animals to cooperate.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM

I film for a couple shows on Vs., The Man Channel etc...(blah, blah, blah). I tell you, it is more fun for me filming and more challenging. If you don't get the right footage you have just ruined the entire hunt. If the hunter misses you can still make a show out of that but not if you as the camera man miss the shot. I filmed a pig hunt where a large sounder came in. The hunter shotthe sow and the pigletts stayed around so he shot a piglett. I rewound the shoton the sow. Bad shot on her and we never found her but I forgot to fast forward past the second shot on the piglett. We went to do the recovery and I filmed over the second shot[:@]Never recovered the sow and erased the kill on the piglett. OUCH! Wasted day in the tripods. The camera man is like the head coach of a football team, in charge. You have to get all the right "cutaways" like the draw, the broadhead, etc...

Anyway. Filming is more fun to me.

Quick Reply: Being...."The Cameraman"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.