Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you could give one piece of advice?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If you could give one piece of advice?

I'll add a other...Take a good flashlight (I carry 3 plus a flasher) and fresh batteries...

I can't tell you how may times I take a guy hunting and when we start tracking, his flashlight has old batteries or he is trying to track with a poor light...

Come prepared to kill and track deer...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

For the love of God..... Learn how to tune you own bow. No one else can do it for you.

I am amazed at how many people come into the shop that don't even know the phrase "tune a bow". They think you can slap on a rest, a sight and go kill a deer. I hear all the time.... "What do you mean tune my bow?"

Shoot within you ability and do not attemptany of those HAIL MARRY shots.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I mentioned time on stand already, but I need to add follow through on your shot. After all, that's what all of our hard work/preparation comes down to, the shot. I believe follow through is the most important aspect of an accurate shot.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Don't pick your nose after gutting a deer... especiallya gut shot!

On a more serious note:

I would say always "give it another 10 minutes." Meaning, when you're ready to leave, always stay. You can't shoot something if your not there. You've picked a stand for a reason, don't second guess yourself by walking the woods to multiple sites. The tracks are there for a reason, the deer will eventually come!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use RAZOR sharp broadheads. We spend too much time practicing, tuning, scouting, and stand setting to skimp on something so simple as sharp heads. We owe it to the deer to do everything in our power for quick, clean kills.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

Read the advise that is given from others and don't take criticism to heart.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont take a shot at an ALERT DEER! if you do, you might wanna aim for the heart...chances are pretttty good its gunna duck before it BOLTS at the sound of your bow....believe me...2 inches lower and i woulda drilled my mistake...instead, he took the arrow high in the back bone....im sure he lived....but what a crappy expirience....
Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Spike

use a safety harness!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 PM

the best advice i could give, is be ready for anything... alwyas be watching
Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

good advise there i have checked out 6 differnt spots i have another 3 to check out i think i am going to let them go to much moving around to get a good area scouted.
ORIGINAL: buckeyehntr5

I think there was a similar postlast year and thought it was very helpful.

If you could give one piece of advice to a any bowhunter young or old, new or veteran what would it be?

Mine would be:
Be patient.. Last year Ikinda found myself movingaround to other properties too much and not giving some hunting spots a chance. No patience=no buck. Tag soup doesn't taste too good[:'(]. This year I'm going back to my old ways of being more patient, whichusually turned out pretty good.

Quick Reply: If you could give one piece of advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.