Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer stolen

Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default RE: deer stolen

It is quite sad that some will go so low to steal another hunters deer. I have never had this happen as last year was my first. I have no input on deer that are still on the move but as for deer that are down and already tagged or gutted. I read a post once by a man that said he always does something to make sure he can prove the deer is his if it is taken before he gets to it. Such as putting a small coin or even a candie wrapper in the deers ear or nose. Sounds a little strange but as often as hunters leave their deer to get a truck or atv to haul it back to camp it could save your trophy one year
Old 08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Friend hit a very large 14 point buck with his truck two years ago. Bounced right off the side of his truck. People on the adjoining property came out to see and were bummed big time. Said they had been hunting it for several years. Anyway, he got a ride from his wife and went home quickly to get some supplies to haul it out of there and call the police about the truck and deer. When he got back, the people had drug it off to their garage and were just about to gut it when my buddy and the police showed up to reclaim. What gets me, is he told them his plans and that he was coming back for it, to claim legally with police permission, and they just figured it always belonged to them.

BTW, buddy had mounted. It's a monster. And he keeps a picture of him and his banged up truck next to it. So he's not hiding how it happened.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Last season I shot a good sized doe. The shot was a little far back so I decided to give her a couple hours. My brother-inlaw and mywife and I picked up a nice blood trail and followed it for about a mile through the woods. At the end of the blood trail I found my arrow agood 20 yards off the blood trail, like it had been thrown there, and right at the massive pool of blood where the doe obviously died, there were drag marks to the nearby road. That really bummed me out, I put a lot of time into tracking that doe, and she was stolen.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Wow that makes me mad.[:@]
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have a friend that was shot at as he went to retrieve his deer! Shot a doe, got out of the stand to go retrieve it (she was within sight) and about 20 yds from his stand 2 shots ring out at his feet. He fell backwards rolled onto his belly and crawled out... Last time he ever hunted public land! "No deer is worth that." is what he says now.