Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: camoguy89

I've been on craigslist looking for used bows. I thought I found a good deal on a Mathews mq1 at $300 ready to hunt but it had a possible cracked limb, whatever it was it didn't look good.(STAY AWAY!!!) Now I'm looking at a used Hoyt UltraMag listed at $450 with everything except arrows. I know that's way too high because I've seen them sold at $275 but the listing said it was negoitiable. (That bow only sold for about $350-399 NEW!!! WAY OVERPRICED!!!) I've only been into archey and bowhunting for just over a year and was wondering is there anything to really look out for when looking at used bows? I know to look at limbs and even ran the mq1 to local bow shop before I returned the bow. Thanks for any help in advance.
Don't be too weary about buying used on a site like this OR Archerytalk, especially if it's a guy that's a longtime member with good status, you can get some VERY good deals on well taken care of equipment most of the time. I've bought 2 off of guys on the AT classifieds and both deals were very good.

I agree 100%. You can also do a search on the seller's posts to see what kind of experience they may have. That sometimes tells you whether they will be decent to deal with or not.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are there any tips for buying a used bow?

I bought anice bow on Ebay. I asked plenty of questions on the site before I purchased it. I asked if I found something he didnt disclose, I could return it. I sent money instantly, and had the bow in 3 days. Packed very nice and sights were still set in.

Real good buy and still is my hunting bow. I looked at the MSRP on the bow, and it ended up saving me over $350 plus. I would sugges Ebay with plenty questions and a deal to return it if not happy. Some will work with you.

IMHO