Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I hit one and can't find it!!........

Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I hit one and can't find it!!........

This is always a touchy subject on here and I know it happens believe me.........even good shots can be a challenge sometimes on the trail to recovery.

I'm not quite sure how to approach this so I'll just do my best to say what I feel and see where it goes......

First things first, we see them every year, thread after thread every few daysfrom someone (generally a little known member, or inexperienced hunter) coming on here 2 hrs after letting an arrow go with a thread of that exact title......."Hit one and can't find it"
I'm sorry but it drives me nuts,absolutely bananas,and I'll clarify why.

For one the technical resources are here right in front of every member in the form of Rob's recovery thread pinned to the top for the entire season offering sound advice.........and the day to day conversations we've had over the years on the topic are in the database.
Before you panic, give up ,take up the trail without knowing what to do, or simply want to be the center of attention that night, please take a minute or 2 or 3 and read Rob's thread, search the database for trailing tips etc.

Next And this is the sensitive part I guess.......the whole world doesn't need to know that someone is struggling to find an animal they shot or they've given up looking. I've been there myself just last year, but I didn't broadcast to the world what was going on and I worked it out.
We're here to help, send a PM to me if need be for suggestions, or Rob or any number of guys you might trust and ask the questions privately.
The resources are here for help........I encourage you to use them privately.

Also every year we not only have these threads, but we also have them started by some guy who shoots a deer at night, looks for 2 hrs, gives up and says he can't look anymore because he has to go to work.
And every year that person gets temple punched on every reply thereafter. [:-][:'(]
ADVICE:
If you find yourself in that situation and you have no desire to, or cannot continue the search any further because of work or some other excuse just TRUST me and keep it to yourself, I don't want to hear about it and neither does anybody else.[:@]
It's a case of it being your responsibility as a hunter to do whatever you can to bring that animal home, and if you are going to come on here and basically state to the world "Oh well bummer, I guess coyotes will get it" I guarantee that we are going to crucify you upside-down.

We're here to help, tricky or bad situations happen butI beg of youpeople, use some common sense before you hit send on that keyboard.

THINKbefore you post and ask yourself this question before you do it "Did I honestly do whatever I could do, and everything I know how to do to this point, and am I willing to go the extra mile?"
If the answer is no to any or all of them, they seldom turn out good.
If the answer is yes, still ask yourself this question........"Is this still going to be good reading for the members or non-hunting visitors to this site?"

I'm sympathetic to someone struggling,(I've been thatperson), soPLEASE contact me if you need help....if you're nearby and I'm not on my deathbed I will COME and help!Just please,PLEASE don't ever come on here with a lackluster "Oh well" attitude about losing an animal or you'll get your head handed to you.

I'm not sure if this is coming across correctly but I know there are members out there who know what I'm getting at but it's hard to put into words.......so please before we even have a chance to see the first one, USE COMMON SENSE, reread that thread you are about to start and ask yourself those questions.
Those of you new to the forum might think I'm off base a bit, but the veterans to the process will most likely back this sentiment up, and after you see it the first few times you too will understand exactly where I'm coming from.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I hit one and can't find it!!........

Ummmm ok!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post....hopefully people will follow your advice!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good thread and it came across correctly.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Amen Matt and years late in coming.

I totally agree with Matt 100%. There is a wealth of information available to everyone and a wealth of knowledge just a PM or email away. I'll even offer up my phone number so you can talk to me personally when that time comes which I've done countless times over the years with many members and I don't mind it a bit.

I don't want to see those threads, most here don't from what I've read before and I'm sure the world doesn't want the tally. Yes it happens, use scrutiny when it happens and you might have an very happy out come.

Great post Matt.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, you're asking a bit much IMHO. You do realize this is the internet and there are millions of goobers on here, right?

Seriously, I think your post hit the nail right on the head. As hunters we need to take the responsibility to do everything in our power to track down the wounded animal. I know sometimes that's not possible, but we need to try. It's understandable as avid hunters why we all get so upset at those who just don't seem to care.

Solid Posting, Matt.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well then, I'll send you a PM because I lost one last year and still can't find it. If you can really help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, since I am color blind, if a deer drops out of sight, I just start working in circles from the last place I saw him/her. You people with normal color vision suck.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Well then, I'll send you a PM because I lost one last year and still can't find it. If you can really help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, since I am color blind, if a deer drops out of sight, I just start working in circles from the last place I saw him/her. You people with normal color vision suck.
I feel your pain.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said. I'm a good tracker and find things others can't. I can't help you from 1000's of miles away. I need to be there to see whats going on. If I don't then your on your own. Work it out. I learned from doing it....... not from running home and going on HNI to find out what everyone says. You learn by tracking not by talking on the net.
If your just starting out.......
use flagging tape
mark every spot of blood
stay off the trail
the buddy system works. have your buddy stand on the sight of last blood and go to look for more. when you find it mark it and call your buddy forward....., then you go on.
if you lose the trail........... backtrack
repeat if necessary
WORK
You will find it
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well stated Matt. Hopefully this saves me having to rip someone a new one for being stupid

I've killed and tracked a lot of deer, anyone feel free to PM me if you are stuck in a bind. If you are in western PA I may even be able to physically come and help you.

Quick Reply: I hit one and can't find it!!........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.